Thursday, November 11, 2021

Teaching Bill to Orienteer...


The above photo is from the steep rise on the West Ridge Trail. We started at Pott's Corners and came up the steep hill. In the winter, this is a snowmobile trail and multi use trail. In the summer, it is used by hikers, equine, and bicyclists.

On a whim I texted Bill late on Sunday and told him I was going to take advantage of the unusual weather to hike on Monday. He texted back "I'm IN!"

The light was amazing and the Autumnal Haze was pretty thick. It created a surreal scene as we walked up through the shadows of the trees.


I gave Bill a running commentary about where I thought we would end up on the West Ridge Trail. I told him we'd probably come right up to those incredible rocks we found in the spring of 2020. He was skeptical.

I wasn't. I'd seen the West Ridge Trail from the top of the rocks and knew it was there. Plus I study the maps from the reserve.

We found the rock formation.





I asked Bill if he wanted a closer look and he asked if we could get up on top. 
And yes, we did.

View from the top looking east.


Bill told me we were looking in another direction by his reckoning. I got out the map of the KVR and dropped my really nice compass on it. I oriented it for him and he was mildly surprised. 
In my backpack, I carry an updated map of the reserve, a compass, and a topographical map.
This way I can be fairly confident when cutting across the land to find my way and not get lost in all of the hills and valleys.



Believe me, directions can get confusing. All it took is one time of going down the wrong trail to convince me that I had to be much more aware.
I include a firestarter cube along with waterproof matches and a lighter. Also included it an emergency blanket in my backpack.

We did get up on top of the rock ridge and that put us on Hanson Rock Trail. There, Bill wanted to head south and I told him we had parked at Pott's Corners to the north. 

I told him if we followed the rock ridge we'd cut off distance back to the vehicles and end up back on the trail we wanted. This time, I had him figure out the direction and carry the compass for a bit.

With no trail to follow, the land looks very intimating. 



Bill said he'd just follow me. But I had him stop and read the compass a few more times.
 
Within a few minutes of walking, we stood on a rock out crop and peered down on the Hanson Rock Trail. Bill recognized the spot. 
Here is Bill, happy that we were not lost in the Wild.


The detour was well worth it.
This is a rock outcrop that cannot be seen from the trail. It is worth meandering about to see these formations.


We descended off the small bluff and Bill handed me the compass. I asked him if he'd like one for Christmas. He said he'd get his wife one. He wants her to enjoy hiking too. She retires from her nursing career in December and he is hoping to get her to enjoy discovering the outdoors. She already is an amazing wild flower gardener.

We walked along enjoying Charlie's fearless leading along with the amazing warm weather.
We stopped to admire some Shining Firmoss Plants. Okay, I didn't know what they were when we found them, but after hours of searching, I did find a name. I believe it is a vascular plant and not truly a moss?
I need to do some more research.


And the rest of the trip was downhill. As .. well, we were walking off a steep ridge.


The shadows were getting long but left incredible patterns across the trail.

And that...
was
my Monday
adventure.



10 comments:

  1. Yeah for using a compass and maps! You are a pro and could be a guide!! So pretty there:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've known too many people that have gotten lost there and it is easy to get turned around. I have 'guided' more than one person I guess!

      Delete
  2. I like this post a lot. I am glad you got Bill interested and gave a brief lesson in finding yourself.;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill intends to get his wife hiking with him so I wanted to make sure he could find his way around. I don't know if his wife will enjoy it as much as him, but getting lost is no fun!

      Delete
  3. I also forgot to mention your rock formation looks like a chimney in the first photo of it. Very neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love the unexpected rock formations this area has.

      Delete
  4. What a great Val kinda adventure! It is so easy to get turned around, especially without trails. You are a good friend teaching others the lay of the land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just never want Bill to get lost if he would be showing his wife how fun it is to walk in the woods!
      I did orienteering in college with the ROTC folks because my room mate was in ROTC. I liked it but didn't pay good attention.
      So I decided to learn more to stay safe.
      Have you heard of the Garmin Mini Locator? If I ever traveled to do hiking in more remote areas, I'd certainly invest in one!

      Delete
    2. No, I have not heard of it. I bought my hubby a nice Garmin from REI when we started exploring the Nicolet (horseback riding/snowmobiling) up north. Not sure of the features. No doubt they've made improvements after all these years.

      Delete
    3. It is the size of a key fob and you activate it if you are lost in the wilderness or if you are lost. It connects up with a satellite and I guess can send a message? A subscription to a satellite service is required.
      I could see having one if I were trekking alone for example the Appalachian Trail or Pacific Coast trails.
      I don't think I will be doing any of those soon though.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.