Friday, October 01, 2021

Into the Woods

Sometimes I dance to my own music that only I can hear. The squirrels laughed and chattered along with the chipmunks.
The trees swayed and applauded by dropping golden leaves on me.



So this is some of what I did. My first real self portrait shoot of sorts.
I had some fun. 
I used a 25mm lens and a self timer. I really took some crappy shots.


Yes I tossed the flip flops and went barefoot. It felt so much better. A lot of shots were not in focus but some were just fine. I even used and Art Setting called soft focus which gave the whole shot an Orton type look like in the first photo.

One of the very hard lessons I learned is that I think I messed with the art filters too much. I'd set up the camera to recognize the face. Good move. Except that the Artsy Fartsy Filter doesn't recognize the face. Soooo many shots were neat, but alas I was not in focus. 
However. That was okay for some of the shots. I didn't want close ups of my freckle face.

I learned that my glasses should be left on... no matter how much I wanted to have them off.

I have a ridge across my nose that shows up in the photos. But who is looking that close anyway? No way am I smoothing this out. 


Yes! I even applied some makeup. Yuck on reddish colored lipstick. But I used it.
Other fun notes.
Since I always wear a baseball cap outside doing work, my skin tone is different on my forehead and yes I have used sunscreen. 
Note to self. Keep the camera further away or wear a cap!

Then there is the scary person. Infrared! The eyes turn black! And of course I am holding a skull.


Then I decided to just sit in the woods and chill out for a while. 
If I stayed long enough I'd fade right into the forest.


[Layered photos one without me in it on top.] The magic of layers.

I can live with this one. I feel it is more true to myself in a way.

How I Go to the Woods by Mary Oliver

Ordinarily, I go into the woods alone, with not a single 
friend,  for they are all talkers and therefore unsuitable.

I really don't want to be witnessed talking to the catbirds
or hugging the old black oak tree. I have my way of praying,
as you no doubt have yours.

Besides, when I am alone I can be invisible. I can sit on top of a
dune as motionless as an uprise of weeds, 
until the foxes run by unconcerned. I can almost hear the unhearable
sound of the roses singing.

If you ever have gone into the woods with me, I must love you
very much.





6 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I like these a lot!! You did good and look great! I was trying to pick out a fav. I think the first photo, because to me it shows a carefree spirit. You chose a fitting poem, new to me. It’s a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really is my favorite too ...and the second shot the camera took when I put it on a delayed timer and a 4 shot burst!
      I wasn't thinking of anything but how I wanted to dance in the woods despite everything else in my life.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous4:44 PM

    Wonderful photo's. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, I like the one of you and the green shawl with your glasses on it looks so natural and relaxed! The red shawl one shows your spirit! You are like a woods elf! What fun! You might need a floppy hat someday to shade your face...I have a African Safari hat and I wear it mowing all summer:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a floppy hat that I try to remember to wear in the garden.

      Delete
  4. Interesting all are SO different. Good for you. Keep on going, I like this idea.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.