Monday, July 19, 2021

Backwards


I'm going to start with the end of the Saturday and work backwards. Sunshine has been coming to the gate and giving me the hard stare. So I thought we'd go for a stroll. She is just a riding mule, nothing special about her except she has a good brain and rarely gets wound up any more. 

Her favorite part was when I pulled over to the side of the road and let her graze on all that nice ditch grass and weeds. We saw a lot of deer.



You almost can't see the deer in the upper left side of the photo. Sunshine is watching deer on the other side of the road eating in freshly cut hay.

Since she is in the forest often with deer I don't think they bother her any more. Only when they pop out of tall corn as a surprise do they startle her.


Such a great way to end the day. When we went past the Naughty Dog house, the dog barked like crazy and after we passed she came out on the road. 
Have you ever seen a mule walk with her ears tilted and one eye looking back? I have. It is how she kept track of the dog. Mules can see behind them with very little effort.

Before supper...

Well, it was bound to happen. I wondered when Rich would kill the riding mower. He always trims things too close and whips it around. He did that yesterday next to one of his junk piles and a hook on a dangling chain ripped out the 'thingy' cord/wire that is used to start the mower. 


Looks like I'll have to call the shop and have someone pick it up and repair it. I think I'll have them replace the belts and blades at the same time and tune it up. I have NO idea how long that will take but I do know I have a LOT of walking behind my mower to do for finishing up this week's mowing.

The guy we purchased this from is usually pretty slow on things like this. But we've bought good machines from him including chain saws for the past 25 or so years.

Going backwards more to the morning. It was foggy and wet. Another one of those amazing mornings we have here in the Kickapoo River area.

The first shot is on the ridge overlooking crops and the second is what was once a pasture we used that belonged to the family to the east of us.



The morning was spent checking fences and enjoying the coolness before the sun burned through the fog.

I really enjoyed looking for insects that were held still by the cool morning and the heavy dew. Or those straggling flea bane flowers. 



The world is filled with a certain kind of wonder on these early summer mornings.




3 comments:

  1. Bummer about the mower. Tough time to have one konk out, when the grass (especially weeds) is growing like crazy. Or at least ours is. Maybe your neighbors can help out with theirs, in the interim. Our place would quickly turn into a jungle if we didn't have a mower.

    Nice field shot! We had thick fog again this morning. Several scenes caught my eye, as I drove out the driveway. Fog mixed with red filtering sun rays, so pretty. Mornings are such a special time to enjoy all things nature!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped in person and asked the guy who does repairs to come pick it up and take it in. He agreed to do it, hopefully he will pick it up tonight. Bonus points. I asked him to do a maintenance job on it too. He liked that.
      Mule grazing is always an option... ")

      Delete
  2. Sunshine is such a pretty color! Great fog shots and the fleabane is ever so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.