Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Double Exposures

Double Trouble.

That is me. 

The photo method that I described before intrigued me. And of course I went off on a tangent from there.

Lo and Behold I decided to try some more double exposures 'in' camera. Now, mostly I am not a fan, but I think it is a fun diversion. Just like the Pep Ventosa Technique which will be a project I work on the next few days as the heat indices are to be around 100+ degrees F.

In camera double exposure of Charlie and random ox eye daisies. Double exposures really need better planning than this.


I like this one I did of my son's dog in his backyard but it feels too ghostly.


Subject one should be isolated more to include a second exposure. So I tried this one. There is the color version and black and white version to see the image within the image better.



So what if I took a photo of a vase of hosta flowers and made the hosta plant the backround? I used a white board that I should toss out as it has seen much better days. 

Original:
Edit:


That was fun.

So I then thought I'd try about 7 exposures 'in the round' of my little meditating dragon.


Here is the edited color version attempt...
It is sort of interesting as it appears that the dragon is thinking inside of himself?


I thought the colors were too distracting. I decided to try a black and white version.
Hmmm. I kind of, sorta, think...sorta, that I like it?


Then I took shots with the Infrared camera of the neighbor's playground and simply stacked them all at 40%.
I added a bit of contrast and that was it.




Certainly the dragon is sort of growing on me.
The playground resembles the Pep Ventosa method a bit better and I think it would work for abstract artsy stuff.

I may have to try it again. 

While doing a bit of research I found a lot of sites that offered classes in this and other 'painterly' effects. I didn't sign up for classes, I like experimenting on my own.

By the way, the weather this morning was incredible. More about that non Artsy Stuff tomorrow. A Heat Advisory has been issued. 

So I am doing other crafty things like dying Queen Anne's Lace and drying it in hopes I can use it as Christmas or Fall *Decorates*.






6 comments:

  1. I read about your Pep V photography study, and shortly after saw some photogs I follow posted shots (for a photo challenge) in that same style on IG. Funny how that happens.

    I've only done double photo exposures in the darkroom or photoshop, and the occasional happy accident. Never in camera. I actually had to google to see if my camera even does them. Figuring things out yourself will make it "stick" much more than watching a video. Or at least it does for me. It is great that you keep learning & experimenting with photography!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I happened on the in camera double exposure as a happy accident. Now I see one Oly will take 5 exposures and put them together. How weird is that? I may try it today while avoiding heat and storms.

      Delete
    2. That almost sounds like Bracketing (which I also have never done in camera) but with 5 exp. instead of the typical 3.

      Delete
    3. This mode allows you to pick the exposures you wish to combine which is kind of neat but really weird feeling. I have bracketing but the in camera processing never comes out that great for the HDR sort of look.
      I'll have to post an in camera one I do and take a picture of the menu if I can.

      Delete
  2. Can't do it with my camera, but maybe can do it in Post on another program. Some of those pics are pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I downloaded CS2 'free' off the the internet and have used it for some of these. I have one other program that allows me to use layers and opacities. I hope you can try it for fun.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.