Friday, January 14, 2022

Trail Challenge Sections #4 and #1

We were so lucky to have a break in the cold weather. 

Bill and I hit the Wintergreen Trail which is Trail #4. Distance? .93 miles. It is an out and back trail so I'd call it 1.86 miles. 

This is always one of my favorite trails and this time there were some cool things added. Nature Discovery Markers!



I'm going to pause here for a moment and make mention of the Kickapoo Valley Forest School. Check it out. I know it has made news lately. I would have loved to have gone to school this way. I would have loved to be a teacher here too!

I imagine these markers were put up for those hikers who visited on January 8th for the Winter Festival.

Bill and I enjoyed finding the markers and reading them. EXTRA bonus for us!





The trail was compacted and slick, so Bill and I donned our YakTraks. I keep a set in my back pack. I think I should do a fund raiser for a new pair of boots for Bill.


Charlie, our trail master led the way as usual.


There are some incredible sights to see along the trail. In the winter you can see down to the Kickapoo River for most of the hike. 

I always stop and take a photo of the river from the bluff look out.
This time I took it in Infrared. 


There is a rock shelter along the way and later in the winter, it usually has a good bit of ice in it.

A few years ago I discovered what I call Layered Cake Ice. I'm positive this IS not a technical name but just what I made up.

Water seeps slowly over this rock formation and creates multiple layers of Ice Falls.



There is another section of the trail where water seeps across the path. This is another spot where ice cleats or YakTraks prove very useful. One can just walk around this ice patch by stepping up and walking through the woods. 
There was a mini ice formation just under the trail which we didn't bother exploring.


The ice didn't concern Charlie at all.

The trail dead ends at the edge of a bluff. I've taken 100's of photos of this part of the trail through the pines and it never has looked the same way twice.


We reach the end of the trail and spend some time gazing at the river which was frozen over. Underneath the ice we know the Kickapoo still flows. Bill and I discussed the ice and the dangers of stepping out on it.

I busied myself with looking through the camera lens. The way the pines cling to the rock never ceases to amaze me.


We headed back towards the Visitor Center.


Since it is such an nice day, we decided to knock of the .4 mile loop and Trail #1 on our list that circles the Visitor Center but allows us more views of the river.
Below us we could see the waters rushing over the ice where the bright sun has melted it.


I am pretty lucky to have a hiking partner that doesn't mind how often I stop to take photos. 
I'm always looking for that perfect shot. 

We are having fun and I think that may be the most important thing. Fresh air, socializing, exercising, and exploring nature. What could be more perfect?

Bill and I took our first steps on hiking the Reserve together on February 05, 2020. 

That day I took a wrong turn and we ended up laughing about it. Bill has continued going with me despite that.

3 segments down! 

51 to go.

I'll end with a Mary Oliver quote from one of her poems...
Instructions for living a life:
Pay attention
Be astonished
Tell about it...


9 comments:

  1. I love your layered ice cake! It looks like a wedding cake. It is wonderful that you live in just a great area to explore. I really enjoy your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. It is an exciting place to both visit and explore. I'm very lucky to live here!

      Delete
  2. Fun day for you and Charlie too! I think it is great that Bill still hikes with you and you have begun a wonderful adventure...how cool are those messages!! Did it give you any ideas??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they use those specifically for the hike for children at the Winter Festival because it is so close to the Visitor Center. Oh I had Bill answer the questions as I've seen them before along the trail.
      It is a great education tool.

      Delete
  3. Those Trail markers are such a great Idea! I'm thinking of some markers right now for the Spring around here. ( you KNOW they will be about Mushrooms in some form or another. ) How cool. That one trail looks pretty treacherous. Funny how the Ice seems to form on the trail only... must be nice to have 4X4 feet to navigate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks those markers were for the Festival and the children, they come down in a few weeks.
      That icy trail is filled from a spring that seeps water there. Also, those Blue Mushrooms? I found them about where Charlie is.

      Delete
  4. It was nice to have a break in the wintery weather. Great day for a hike! It felt downright balmy. How fun to find the clever trail markers. I like your Yak straps. Mine didn't come with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several types of YakTraks, my old ones wore out and broke. In deep ice and snow on my other pair I use old shoe laces across the top to keep them from moving around.
      Sort of Red-neckish, but it works great.
      I think you can get the ones with the strap at most places. They are the YakTrak Pro version? I think?

      All I know is that the rubber eventually cracks and they come apart. So I always have a new spare pair!

      Delete
    2. I didn't know there was a pro version of Yaks. Guess mine are just the original wanna-be's lol. Super old and seldom used. I actually bought them for my daughter a long long time ago to use at Harmony's original barn. It was a long icy walk to/from the back pasture, many times in the dark. She never used them, probably not cool for teens to wear. I've never hiked with them on, they feel weird. However, I am glad I kept them for traction getting to/from the barn on occasional icy days. I can see how they would fall off easily without being secured.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.