Thursday, January 20, 2022

The allure of the open ridge...

 


Here is the view from our neighbor's woods. We share a driveway with them. 
The next nearest neighbors we have are much further up on the ridge.

Our 'hollow' generally protects us from the most cold north winds. The mules often enjoy laying in the snow and soaking up the sun. At night they move into the woods and hide from the cold drafts.

This morning we are sitting at something like -10. 

Charlie and I went for a walk yesterday after chores to get the mail. Mr. Short Stuff and I went through the woods to avoid the wind.


When we got to the road, Charlie sat down and waited while I did some photography.

One should not waste a trip to the mailbox by leaving a camera at home. Something might be interesting and ... something may not be!




Charlie hardly ever passes up and opportunity to pile into the snow and hunt for the ever elusive vole.

The sun was bright and the cropland just begged to be explored.



But first, I needed to take the mail home and drop Charlie off. I needed snowshoes and some different gear.

I wanted to try some 'stark' winter photos. Artsy Fartsy stuff. 

The deer tracks that lead off into no-where gave me an idea....


Stay tuned....


10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is cold. Today is an indoor day because tomorrow is an ice cave day.
      Stay warm and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. You did get some great photos. I ventured out to put seed in another feeder today. We too are so cold and it was a quick trip for me. I really did need snow shoes but I didn't get snow in the back of my shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow is not deep near our house but on the ridge and woods, it IS deep!
      Cold trip indeed ... going to the feeder!

      Delete
  3. Great first shot of your homestead, complete with mules! I didn't realize they could come that close to your house. I was going to try to name your herd for fun. Ummm...here goes from memory: I can tell which one is Mica, and assume Ciera & Sunshine are the reds on the left. Might be 15 in the middle, can't see ears. I don't remember the smaller ones name and no clue who is in the back with their head down. Yea, I didn't do very well. Help please :)

    I spy your bird feeder. I can see how sunny/shaded your front porch gets, great place to hang out! You are good at finding photography inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The redheads are Sunshine and Sundance. The little bay is Fred the 37 yr old, the mule bay is Siera, and then there is the red bay ... 15. Mica is the grey.
      Yes they can come up close to the house, it is usually warmer there in the winter and protected from the wind.
      Also, we like to talk to them and they will stand there and bray when they see me making coffee.

      I considered getting rid of that section and converting it to yard, but Rich loves seeing his friends up close and so do I. Easy to catch and tie to a tree next to the porch for grooming!

      You did pretty good with the critters!

      Delete
    2. Ha, you are too nice! I give me a C- (spelled Siera's name wrong. I knew it was different then our girl's spelling) on recognizing your herd.

      I love that they can be nearby! Hearing them bray is priceless. Brad & I joked about building our house, with a window so the horses could look in. It's a fun idea but um, no thanks. Can you imagine, hay lady...

      Delete
    3. The lady who named Siera did so because Siera was born on the day of the annual meeting Southern Iowa English Riding Association meeting. So her name became those initials. That is how I can recall her spelling.
      Odd but true.

      Oh well we did one year when our mower broke:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/xenas_images/2501838572/in/photolist-2gme9R9-4P5zrN-dYPvY-dYNef-d3PuD-2gmdR4e-6pZMZv-4Sgvkr

      Delete
  4. Oh I love the photo of your place!! So pretty!

    And that last photo of the tracks is great!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.