Sunday, January 09, 2022

Trail Challenge Segment #53

What a totally boring title. It should be two dogs, two men, and a wild woman guide.

I'm not really a guide, but it felt like it. 

Or perhaps it should be Two Dogs, a Geologist, and a retired IT guy with the Skunk Hat Lady.


I thought I'd get going on our Trail Challenge 2022. Bill said he wanted to be a part of it and was a willing partner. I meet Jason while hiking on New Year's Eve and he happened to be free on Saturday too. I coordinated the hike and times for all of us.

The trail challenge encompasses 59 miles of trails that are to BE hiked. They say there are 50 trail segments. But I count 54. I've done all but 9 miles of these trails so I could familiarize myself with the KVR since it has been many years since I rode it with my husband on mules.

Bill wanted to avoid the Kickapoo Valley Reserve Winter Festival . I did too so I picked a trail that had bluffs, rocks, and a decent distance for us to do. 

The Trail is called the Cut Off Trail and runs from Cut Off road just south of County P. The distance of the segment is only 1.87 miles. 

Bill in front 
Jason bringing up the
rear


Jason's shot from inside a small
cave at me taking a 
photo of 
him.
Piper is his dog.


The first leg of the trail winds around a rock formation. Jason probably has a good technical term for it, but I don't.

Charlie and Piper took about a half mile to sort things out between them. They became the trail leaders.

The first part of this trail will make you pause and just keep saying things like.

Wow.
And...Wow....

Photos were shot with my infrared camera
which really brings out the 
details of the rocks.







While hiking, the dogs entertained us by playing. Charlie did great and Piper was an excellent pal for him. I think Jason and I were very pleased with how they got along ~~ I know I was. [At the end of the hike Charlie thought he should jump in the car with Piper and Jason. Sigh....Traitor!]

Jason explained rocks and geology. Both Bill and I enjoyed the learning experience. We learned more about the development of ice caves and rock shelters [new term for me that makes a lot of sense]. I learned why bluffs are on one side of the river and why the other side didn't have bluffs.

The guys actually chatted more than I did. I was there for the hike ~ and you guessed it ~~ the photo opportunities.

I don't always go for documentation. Sometimes I go for the odd and the different.

On our walk back along Cty P, I did just that. I used my Infrared Camera with a 665nm filter. 






My New Year's Resolution? Well I don't make them often. However I am trying to attain a goal this year. 

I want to actually complete the Trail Challenge. That is a goal and not a resolution per se.

And of course. Explore with photography.

Only 52 more segments to go....

Our hike map:




Sunday Stills #36

8 comments:

  1. Wow is right! Love the pics of he rocks and cave. Indulging a Geologist to geek out about rocks is a very gracious thing to do. I fully understand when you have all this trivial knowledge bursting out of you, but hardly anyone seems to care. He must have been like a big kid on the hike. Sounds like a fun time. Should have brought skis or snowshoes! Winter hikes are always a little bit more fun in that gear. Then again, A Camera was probably all you needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have snowshoes! I love them. I have skis too for the groomed areas. This trail is usually packed down by Fat Tired Bikes. It is a great winter biking trail.

      Delete
  2. That is quite an accomplishment once it is all done. Trudging through snow can be difficult. Pace yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the more popular trails end up with a snow pack on them and we take along ice cleats to walk. This one was packed down for the first half along the bluffs. But the snow wasn't bad.
      I have snowshoes too. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Best wished for your success! What a great goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great goal and one I think I can achieve this year as I did all but 9 miles last year and I wasn't working hard at it.
      Thank you for stopping in.

      Delete
  4. My old dog loved the snow 🌨️ how I miss her 🐶❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a hiking group!! You can all learn from each other!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.