Monday, January 24, 2022

Artsie Fartsy

The tree above is a real mess, but in some ways I sort of like it. I enjoyed the process so much I decided to try it again on the tree below.
I added the birds with a brush.

I used to love drawing with pen and ink. I wasn't very good at it. I was more of a Picasso artist and drew a 'interpretation' of what I saw. It tried being accurate and real, and always failed miserably.

Maybe this is why this sort of photo-draw-art-interpretation thing works for me. 
The funny thing is, this 'art' had some rave reviews with a certain subset of folks in
an art group on social media. 

However ~ can a person really trust social media these days? Rhetorical question, obviously.



This yearling deer was photographed through the back door window with my long lens. The original is here:



My 'vision' of what I imagined is here:


And then a wild interpretation that included textures and colors are here:
 


I hike or snowshoe daily with camera in hand and wonder what I can do artistically with the same ol' scenes over and over. How can I see the same tree yet interpret it differently? 

[Hey now, that would make an interesting comparison wouldn't it? This tree and scene over the years? Hmmmm....]

Below is a photo of an apple tree that I've photographed hundreds of times in all sorts of circumstances. This is the version I came up with.


This is the original:


The black and white version is more like a drawing. I like that. It really says a lot about winter. Though winter is not that dull and unexciting.

I enjoy finding out who has been lurking around by their tracks. Mr. or Mrs. Bobcat have been making a trail from one neighbor's property across our place and towards the neighbors west of us.

These shots were taken before the last snowfall. 



We haven't been going anywhere lately. Hubby stays at home and I hike out to the ridge or into the valley to get fresh air and see what is going on in our forest. 

Charlie has not been too excited over the latest cold temperatures and snowfalls. I have to make some trails so he won't have to snow swim.



7 comments:

  1. Very nice activity for you! I do like what you did with the deer! Have fun, stay warm...the air had a sharp bite to it today:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cool white out of the deer. Your Yard looks like the conditions we would go out rabbit hunting in. Sometimes, we would even get a rabbit in the extreme cold, since they would be under brush piles and my brother or I would take turns jumping on them. IF the action was hot, we never felt the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bobcat was hunting rabbits in all the brushy areas and the pastures and meadows all around us are full of rabbit tracks!

      Delete
  3. I really like the starkness of the black and white photo pictures. You are so talented and creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have time on my hands in which I try to discover new things and I guess this is what I love to do!
      Thank you.

      Delete
  4. You work/play/discover with your photography more than any photographer I know. It's fun to see what you come up with!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to 'find' what works and I'm always willing to stretch the boundaries between photography and art. Sometimes it goes too far, but I am having fun.
      Thanks, that is a great compliment!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.