Saturday, January 08, 2022

Chillin'

I'm not going to complain too much about this cold spell. I've been able to get out and about in the big chill and not really suffer much.

We are got pretty cold over night but I am a bit luckier than those who live on flat lands or on the ridges.

We have the bone chillin' cold, but we miss some of the light wind. Perhaps it doesn't feel so bad? I don't know yet. The air temp outside my door is -15 F. I'm going to wait until the sun shines into our hollow before heading out to do the chores. 

Yesterday I did walk to the ridge with Charlie to get the mail in the morning. My coveralls didn't offer enough wind protection. 

I got cold heading back down the hill. Charlie stopped and asked to be picked up.

I went back out later with a different set of winter clothes and was super comfortable.

Charlie did not go with me.


He said he wouldn't wear the Goggles nor would he get dressed up at all.

'Give me a cookie and go out on your own dorky strange Human! I shall stay right here and protect the couch from invaders!'



Oversized Goggles for glasses are great eye/face protectors. All these years I've worn them with my glasses and have always been irritated that the glasses fog up. Now I carry my glasses in a case in my pocket and hike without glasses. I can see clearly enough to walk without glasses. 

It really helps keep my eyes from getting windburn and the masks I have keep most of my face warm. I am always pulling it down to grab a gulp or two of cold air.

I made it to the ridge to look around the area I like to watch the winter sun come up.

There were dozens of deer beds by next to the small copse of trees. It made sense as the deer could sleep out of the wind and keep an eye on the open land before them.


The light winds were still blowing the snow around and the air was filled with very fine snow. I decided to head back home through the woods to avoid the coldest air.

I followed some well made formed deer trails and once out of the sun it just was plain cold on my cheeks even with the face mask.

I sat with my back to the light breeze and studied the Barberry bushes. They litter this part of the forest. They are invasive but enchanting in the cold harsh days of winter with their tiny red berries.


Man o' man my face did freeze off by the time I got home! 

I spent the rest of the day warming up.

So Friday morning it was -14, when I went out to do chores. The wind chill was supposed to be colder. However it was from a different direction and I never got cold! Go figure.

I like crisp air. I don't like --it'll--freeze--your-lungs--air-- but I don't mind my mask which warms my breath.

And...
NO bugs!


This is me heading out to the creek around noon. It was up to something like 4 by then and the mules were all laying around taking turns sleeping in the sun.
Lazzzy critters!



I wanted to check the ice wall and see if the creek froze over. In places where the water moves slowly it has but in other spots the warm springs keep the water open.

Spring water keeping the ice thin:


Watering hole further up the creek in a sunny spot. Tracks are coyote, 'possum, deer, and mice all mashed together. 


Ice Wall


Frost on the moss and grasses from the moisture given off by the springs




This is why the creek and my daily walks are so important to me. The going can get rough in the cold weather with deep snow, but still it is worth it!

Yesterday afternoon I sat on a rock and listened to a very quiet woods. Eventually I was able to watch some deer browsing further down the valley.

A good chillin' day.
It was perfect.

Today I am headed off to guide/hike with my buddy Bill as we start our Trail Challenge and meet up with Jason [the geologist] and his dog Piper. 

It should make for an interesting hike!

3 comments:

  1. Yes the wind was bitter! I like your goggles! You look nice and warm! So glad you have other like minded folks to hike with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The temperatures will be mild today so I'm taking advantage of it. Southwest breezes and up to 25 F will make it feel like summer!

      Delete
  2. I'm with Charlie! I love your pictures and I love looking out my window, but too cold for me. Those goggles are pretty slick, though!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.