Friday, January 21, 2022

CareGiver

 


"A hug is always the right size." ~~ Winnie the Pooh


I was asked by a VA Social Worker how CareGiving changed my life. I didn't get philosophical like I could have IF I'd had time to think about it.
So I answered honestly.

It isn't how I saw myself spending my time as I aged. Pre Caregiving was a life full of trips and adventures with a lot of camping and riding mules. I worked a pretty good job that drove me nuts with the odd hours I worked.

I became a CareGiver because it was the only way hubby could come back home. That was 5 years ago. It just felt right. I couldn't leave him 14 hrs a day on his own after nearly losing him twice  in the early morning hours. 

The Social worker asked if I had experience in this. I chuckled and said that it was on the job experience. She smiled and said most folks who have raised children have extensive experience. 

I agree. I was a mom, but being a caring person for a once able person is much more different than caring for a child. At least I could send my kids to their rooms or ground them for misbehaving. 

I looked up quotes and inspirational 'stuff' on the internet. All of them sing wonderful praises about being a Caregiver. How enlightening it is, how courageous it is, how fulfilling it is.

No one quotes or discusses the arguments that cannot be won. The discussions that go no where. The memories that are flawed yet have to be glossed over in order to keep the peace. 

CareGiving did change our lives. In a sweet way, it has allowed us to stay together. In a hard way because of his frailty it has isolated us socially. You can draw your own conclusions regarding that. 

Caregiving pushed me to be an Advocate and a mom to my husband. Yet we still find those magical little moments where both of us forget all the medical issues and frailties. We laugh and make like we are going to beat each other up with slippers. There is a spark in his eye and laughter.

A hug goes a long long way. 

Compassion and empathy is not in everyone's make up. I'm not special.

To Quote Winnie the Pooh [my hero]:


"Some people care too much. I think it's called love." ~ Winnie the Pooh

5 comments:

  1. Oh but Val, you are very special!! Hold tight to those good times, they will help you through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! I wrote this and meant it to be posted tomorrow. However, I will leave it as is!
      Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:25 PM

    What a beautiful post. Your words ring true and brought me to tears
    Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes someone special to be a caregiver...and you are! It is not a glamorous, fun job but it can give you an adrenalin rush now and again. Everyday is an adventure! The not knowing what the next hurdle will be is the worst. And you never get a day off. If we lived closer we could tag team! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless the caregivers.
    One day we might need that care ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.