Saturday, June 19, 2021

Lessons from a Teddy Bear

We had a great thunder boomer and downpour on Thursday night/Friday morning. Some areas had hail. Luckily we had no hail.

Well before the storm arrived, I walked out to the meadow and thought I'd take a 'gander' at things. If it was moving in swiftly, I'd vacate the area. 


When I saw lightening, I packed up and hustled back to the house. I have a pal that is a storm chaser. He goes out to bluffs and gets the most amazing time lapse photography along with some fantastic lightening shots.
I'm a wuss. I'll photograph a storm from my porch but never out in the open.

2 years ago lightening struck a tree in our donkey's pen and literally blew a tree up. The hot wire fence was fused part of the way around the pen. I lost Thor about a month later, his donkey 'tude just went away. The Vet said he probably got electrocuted. 
Any...way.... so yeah, I fear lightening. 

The thunder was so intense later that Charlie become a quivering mess. I snuggled  with him on the couch. 


Well fast forward to Saturday. I had Big Plans. I wuz gonna go to KVR for a morning hike and rock climb.  I looked out the window to see a thunderstorm brewing to the Northeast. 

Instead I grabbed Bear, coffee, and camera and took off up the road. Maybe the clouds would produce something interesting and maybe they wouldn't.



The skies were mostly bleh. Bluish greyish, and a bit of color tossed in. I decided to be like Bear and sit down and be patient. The sunrise itself was hidden from view.

It was a flop. So I grabbed Bear and headed towards the car. I forgot my coffee and walked back when something interesting started to happen.


So, I decided to watch a bit more. Bear hollered from the car:

I TOLD you to be patient!

Bears!

Then this happened...


"Wow! Would you look at that!" I exclaimed.

Told you so.

[See, it is like this. Bear goes with me so I can have a conversation with him. Otherwise I just have to talk to myself and that surely would be very weird, right?]

Finally I looked at the time and decided to start home.

Uh. Ummm.


Bear was right. 

Be patient.




8 comments:

  1. Lost my comment, waaahhhh :( Oh well, will try again. These photos are just stunning!! That single beam, a sign? Good things come to those that wait. Crepuscular rays stop me in my tracks. Have to ask, what is the large tulip looking thing (a wooden sign?) in the Bear/Mug photo? Oh, and your lightening bug shots = amazing! We used to see them frequently in our backyard and surrounding fields that Brad grew up on. Rarely see them now that we moved.

    Shooting lightening scares me too. I also stick close to the house and duck inside when it gets intense. A couple shots and I am good. I could never (ever) be a storm chaser. Some shots are just not worth the risk. Almost got out of bed to shoot the recent thunderstorm, almost. How sad about your Thor, poor guy. I bet Charlie appreciated your comforting snuggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a weed sticking up along the driveway. There are similar weeds on the left of Bear. By August I won't be able to see any sunrises here at all. The corn will be much taller than me!
      The photography keeps me busy and now that I have figured out night photos, it helps with insomnia.

      Thanks for your kind words. That single beam stopped me too. If I hadn't noticed it, I would have left. But as it was so early in the morning and I was so close to home, I stayed and waited. So glad I did.
      Fireflies like long grass so maybe they are out at the edges of the hay fields? That exposure was a LiveComposite of 2 minutes of catching changes of light.

      Delete
    2. I never would have guessed that was a weed. Proportionately it looks like garden art to me. Specifically one of those large wooden dutch tulips. There must be a cut-out pattern of them floating around, although the wooden tulips are usually significantly shorter. I thought perhaps it was marker of sorts. Ha ha, I am a dork!

      Delete
    3. Oh not really you are NOT a dork. This is not a well kept place at all. Ditch weeds usually aren't cut unless the township makes an error.

      But it does look like that now that you mentioned it. I think it may have been a milkweed coming up. Not sure because I didn't really pay attention to it.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:22 AM

    Stunning cloud pictures. They are awe inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are! It will be hard to top those shots!

      Delete
  3. Wow you got some great shots!! Oh yes talking to bear is better than talking to yourself!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was sure wondering how on earth I could attempt to top those shots. We shall see what Mother Nature brings about next!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.