Monday, June 28, 2021

Blogger and Cell phones

Blogger sent me a message that I was in error or the blog was not working well... and they wanted me to change it in order to be device friendly.

Blogger has been nagging me for a while. Apparently my content of the written word was too wide for mobile devices and people would have to turn their phones sideways to read it better. So I kept getting nice casual messages like: Mobile Usability issues detected. A small list was included saying the text was too small.

My text is 'too' small of a size. Hmmm? People would have to pinch and expand their screens.

OHHHH Horrors what a terrible hellish thing is this?


So this is Medium Text and I could change the text in the advanced setting to larger than 15px. I just am not sure about it.

This is normal text. I can read it on my phone but it does appear a bit small. But not so small that I need a magnifying glass or to pinch and expand and twist my smartphone around. 

I suppose less and less people are using laptops or desktops to do their internet reading. 

Next up? Yeah. My smartphone is something I have not mastered yet.

Well I can use the google maps and MapMyWalk and other nifty things, but my first smartphone was set up by my Grand daughter Lily and this one ... well, I'm pretty much hopeless as far as certain things go.

When I told my son I didn't have much memory in my phone he sort of snorted a laugh and asked me what my Phone Storage was. Um. Storage. Not much. 
What kind of cheap ass phone do you have? He asked [or some such words]. Well, I have a cheap assed phone that only cost me 50 bucks but I never added an SD card for more 'memory' ... storage, or whatever because ... truth be told....

I have no idea what I am doing.
Period.
But at the same time I'm not out a lot of money if I totally screw things up and wreck the phone, right?

Yep, I am behind the times.
I can recall the days when my Grandpa used to pick up his phone and listen in on the party line at his home. Phones with a dial. 
The newness of push button phones. 
The awesome new phones that had NO cord! 

And my wonderful smartphone that 50% of the time has no service inside my home. No service at all in the valley. It even goes Ding to warn me: NO SERVICE! 

The whole reason for the discussion on cell phones and storage was my upcoming mini trip and traffic/construction reroutes. My son asked me to use an app on my phone to assist me in getting around the construction and I replied ...

there is no room on my phone for that.....

How about those glory days of driving without GPS, air conditioning, electric windows, smart phones, and using something called paper maps?



Yeah, those days are gone.

I still carry a paper map in my car. 
But I did update my blogger view supposedly to make things easier for others to read. 
Not that anyone really wants to.

When I take my mini trip I think I'm just going to leave from home early and wander some of the back roads with Pandora blaring music out from my speakers. Of course THAT is really what makes that smartphone priceless!

One very cool feature I do have on my Subaru is a button I can push that says SOS. It also alerts Starlink if I've been in a crash. So there is that. No laying in a ditch out of sight for hours. A Blue Button for help and a Red Button for emergencies. Something that is comforting while transporting a person with health issues.


Have a Monday.


6 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:53 AM

    Love the graphic.

    You are using the tool that works best for your lifestyle and budget. There is no need for the latest and greatest.

    I think so many people use tablets or phones to browse the internet because they can use the cellular internet and not have to pay for another internet provider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to have a photo app on the phone that helps me with locations of the sunrise and moonrise while out in the field. Traffic apps are really not an issue with me since I am not in a city area. I bet my son would love to put a tracking app on my phone so he could keep track of me! Well, maybe later in life....

      Delete
  2. I want to just tell you: "YOU ARE NOT ALONE!" I personally dislike all of the "Phone craze" that people have. They fall down steps and get hit by cars because their nose is buried in a phone. But aside from that, I have a Lap top. I resist the "Tablet" my wife has, because I cont use a mouse and have to use my Gooy Finger. ( Fingers are oily, goo ey, and just plain dirty. They streak the monitor and screen! Who would ever want that????" My mouse at least keeps my screen free from dirt, oil and streaks. As far as Blogger lecturing me on how my Blog is not accessible for the Phone Reading crowd.. I say: Who is writing this blog? And Who's Blog is this anyway? Mine! My Blog My rules!
    I like the pictures you post on your blog and can clearly see them on my clear screen "ancient" laptop. I remember phones with cords,rotory dials etc. They were not THAT difficult to navigate. Young people have such a difficult time understanding how far we have come. I still have an analog Subaru and love it to death. ( ok, it does have power windows and AC.) Ah well, what are you gonna do? We will forever continue to get old and young people will continue to make us feel stupid because we have to relearn all of the basic functions of society. Good news thought! They will be joining us in 10-20 years! ( when their grand kids make fun of them for not being able to fly the latest space ship....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! How on earth did we ever do without cell/smartphones! Some faces should be planted IN phones. I leave mine in the house most of the time.
      Yes, I post the photos for a large screen, not really for a smartphone. I guess since I use a laptop too, I am behind the times.
      I'm not keen on tablets either.
      Ever see that video of kids trying to use a rotary phone? It is hilarious!

      Delete
  3. Progress is hard sometimes. When I switched my header photo went small...I suppose it is the right size for a phone:) I can tell you are excited for your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen more than one header become tiny with the new format. I may change mine since I am not riding mules as much and the photo is outdated.
      The banner should be like an 'Ad' to draw a person in.
      I am thrilled about going on a mini trip!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.