Tuesday, May 04, 2021

The little Red Camera

 





This dandy camera arrived December 14th 2019 and it was love at first unpacking. First off, it is heavy duty and weather proof. It's name says Tough and it is. I've dropped it from my mules, dropped it in the snow, fumbled it in and out of my coveralls and jackets, and walked with it in downpours and snowfalls.

I've worn the paint off one of the edges and basically I've been surprised by it.
It is not a DSLR camera but I've even put it up against my those cameras in some still life tests. The zoom is not something I use often but I do use the macro features A LOT.

The Olympus Menu has always been a confusing thing on cameras and this one is no different. The macro feature menu allows me to do macro, in camera stacked photos [I think this feature is the coolest. I normally can do it without a mini tripod!] With a tripod, you can also take frames to stack later in a program like Helicon Focus. 


There is a microscopic feature that is the bomb. They call it Microscope instead of Macro.


This is the mode for the following shot I took yesterday while hiking in the rain of raindrops on a dandelion.


In camera focus stacking. Wow.
Super cool Olympus feature, but this one comes in a little pocket camera.
The Olympus OMD EM 5 Mark III has it too but it only works with certain lenses.


And it works pretty well.


This feature called Focus Bracket takes several photos and lets the photographer stack them in post process. This is fine and you would want to use a mini tripod. 
I rarely do this only because I think the hand held Focus stack works well for me.

 
Super duper close. I like this for things like snow flakes and dew drops.


Check it out. I ended up getting a ring light that attaches to the front of the camera. It works pretty neat also.
Super Duper Close!

Snow flake


Caddisfly larvae encased in grains of sand.

I stuck the camera in Landscape mode and took this shot of the little gargoyle in my Forest Garden.
Easy peasy. No thinking, just point and shoot.




Other handy menu items are sunset and indoors. For great sunsets, I am not impressed with this camera. It lacks a bit of pizzaz in picking up the colors, but if that is all a person has, it does great.

However it does take pretty cool video in slo...motion! It does eat up the battery if you do a lot of video. There is a self portrait mode too which actually works pretty nice.

Does it produce the best photos compared to other cameras? I honestly don't know. I don't Pixel Peep and I don't care. I need a camera that will take abuse from me and is handy to attach to my belt.



It also has a cool feature which I used. It has a timer you can set and then ask the camera to delay the first photo and take a series of shots. That is how I got most of my 'snowy' adventure photos this year. 

Last note. On the dial menu there is C1 and C2. I've never used them. But if there is a particular 'way' you like your camera set up, you can preset your desires and set them to C1 or C2.  


5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:49 PM

    Thank you Val for the camera info. I'm sure I want one, those macro pictures are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. If you end up with one and have questions, I'd be happy to help. One other thing that is cool, if you download the Olympus App you can remotely operate the camera with your smartphone and get photos from the camera transferred to the smart phone.
      I don't do it because I don't have much extra memory on my smart phone but I have used the app for remote photos!

      Delete
  2. You sure have gotten a lot of use out of your tough camera, money well spent. It does a nice job with Macro 'er Micro. I often hear "I can't do photography because I don't have XYZ" As long as it clicks, you can. Albeit within limitations. I learned early on from a photo mentor, to use what ever tool (aka camera) I had. It took me years to be able to really see the often subtle difference a higher end camera makes. I've seen photographers get amazing shots with lower end cameras/phones. In the end, it truly is the person behind the camera that knows how to make any tool shine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand why they called it Micro, but that is okay, I call it macro. :)
      I agree about using whatever you may have on hand. My first digital camera was a Stylus pocket camera and it was so fun. I killed it of course, but it ran out of clicks. I loved that camera and had a very hard time tossing it.
      Before that I was all into film and had an ancient fixed lens Canon that hubby purchased in Vietnam. I also had a Pentax that didn't have a meter. That was fun!

      When I look back, I sure have had a long history with different methods.

      I do hear often that in order to take good photos, a person needs $$$ better and more equipment. I fell into that thinking for a while.

      Anyway, thanks! That little red camera is fun.

      Delete
  3. I ha a similar camera a long time ago...it took great macro shots...have not found one similar ...I should look! I really enjoyed your photos!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.