Friday, December 18, 2020

Waiting

 


I'm not good at sitting and waiting. And then wondering and waiting.

This morning Rich told me his oatmeal was bad, it didn't taste right. I poured him some of my strong coffee and he sipped it. I asked how it was. He said it didn't taste right either.

Normally if I don't add water to the pot and make the coffee much weaker, he has a fit. He ate and drank his coffee, took his meds, and I approached him about seeing a doctor. 

I told him that his returning fever and the lack of taste and possibly smell [he said he was congested and couldn't smell anyway], along with body aches, extreme fatigue and struggles with 02 were pretty damning for the dreaded Covid. Or at least a reason to be tested. Perhaps it was just URI and a doctor could make things more comfortable for him.

He said he didn't want to go stay in a hospital. He knows what that scenario is like. He'd be alone without anyone. I agreed. So I called the VA Triage Line and am now waiting on a Triage Nurse to call back. The VA has a protocol for things like this. If it isn't an ambulance call or severe enough, they will fight the local ER regarding treatment. I've been through this for 24 years. They will want me to transport him 89 miles one way. I will plead my case for a 10 mile drive.

I will never forget what he said next. 
'So I should die at home.' 
I replied, 'Let's not jump the gun.'

'So where did I get it? You? Charlie? Did you let people pet Charlie that day you took a walk? They gave it to him, he gave it to me.'

After putting him back to bed and hooking up the CPAP, I sat down and did my 'contact' tracing.

The only persons I had contact were with
Two humans who briefly touched Charlie, 12-4
the checkout person at the store on 12-8
the FedEx guy who handed me a package and we briefly talked because it was dark and I had to show him where to turn around, 12-10 
distance hiking outdoors with Bill, 12-11....

Can you imagine the guilt I and the amount of anxiety I am suddenly inundated with? How did he even get sick if it is just a respiratory infection? What did I do wrong?

What if?

What...

if...

I do live with a man who is health compromised in the first place. Last year we wouldn't have questioned it much. We would have assumed it was a bad cold and respiratory infection. He has not been sick [nor have I] in years. 

I dropped him off at the local ER. Here is the difficult part. No spouse admittance, I could 'go do errands and shopping' or go home. The nurse was nice about it as she unloaded Rich in the ambulance bay. I wanted to point out to her how ridiculous 'go shopping' sounded in this day and age. She was just being kind and saying what was a common saying a year or so ago.

I told her I'd wait for a first impression and report by telephone in the parking lot. I did.

A Covid test will be done, chest x-rays, blood tests, the usual poking and prodding. I could expect an update in about 3 hours.

So now I am home doing laundry carrying my cell phone as if it is a life line.

Waiting...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update....Phone call from the nurse.
We will be admitting your husband here. There are no beds available at the VA.

Let's parse that out. No beds.

Me: What is the diagnosis?
Nurse: 99% positive Covid-19. We have given him....

I listened to what their plan of action for the moment was.

Me: Then I should be quarantined. Should I be tested?
Nurse: Quarantined yes. Tested no. You have not shown any signs correct?

Nurse: We will update you when he is put in a room and when we get the final labs back.
Me, quietly: Okay.

Hangs up phone.

Primal Screaming really scares Charlie. Maybe I should do it outside.



11 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:43 PM

    Val I am so sorry and keep praying for you and Rich. Please be kind to yourself, you have been extremely careful to not bring Covid in, and hopefully it's not Covid. So little is known about the virus that it could even have come in on the mail, or has been sitting dormant from before we even knew about it. It is a constant worry for me too, but in my opinion you have nothing to feel guilty about. You have to get out and get food and you have to have a break in nature. I'll keep praying and sending you virtual hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, they are 99 percent sure it is Covid. He isn't coming home and is sitting in an ER waiting for a room locally. The VA is full. I am in shock.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous5:54 PM

      I am so sorry and hope Rich will recover with no lasting side affects. Big virtual hug.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry and a bit shocked as I know how careful you have been. My heart goes out to you and my prayers too. One day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, wait, wait.... Don't beat yourself up here. People get it. Masks, social distancing, washing of hands.... everything you can do to slow or prevent the spread has not worked. Period! It was not a matter of "IF" it was a matter of time before what he was going to get... the Vaccine OR the virus. Once you get the virus... you are clear. He will beat it with the "treatments" they now have and know how to use. ( Everyone was "terrified" of the treatments at the beginning... even tho they gave US( US Army soldiers) hydroxychloroquine when we went to Thailand. As a "preventative" for any Asian viruses we might catch. A little faith goes a long way. In the mean time... Don't automatically think it came from you or that it was preventable. 100% vigilance is never attainable. This simply means he will gain immunity the old fashion/hard way. Stiff upper lip... and A few prayers never hurt either.... Hope he feels better soon. And don't beat yourself up....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to say that all of myI protocols I thought were working. I want to say that all of my working out and staying healthy were working.
      I want to say that everything I sacrificed was right. But were did I fail? I hoped that we could wait it out.
      I hoped that we could beat it.
      I hoped I was doing it all right.
      And then he told me over the phone that he was done. He was tired of the fight.

      And my heart broke in pieces.

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry you and your husband are going through this. Please try not to blame yourself for the unknown. So hard not being with our loved ones when they are most at need. Hospitalization for any reason right now is extra hard on everyone. Full of endless waiting and then some. Requires patience, being pro-active and knowing most everyone is doing there best. I feel your pain. My mom just came home (lives with my sister) from the hospital yesterday for the second time after recent emergency hip surgery, and then related complications. Nothing to do with COVID. My sincere wishes your hubby responds well to care given.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:02 AM

    Val I am so sorry! Please be kind to yourself. I will keep both of you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keeping you in my prayers. Take care of yourself. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don’t think I’ve ever commented. Long time reader, came for the mules, stayed for the writing and your tenderness. Please don’t beat yourself up. You really were extremely careful. Sending healing and forgiveness to the universe for you and Rich.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking of you, will keep everything crossed.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.