Saturday, December 05, 2020

Afternoon Out!


After bribing Charlie and dressing him up in a sweater and ribbons, I promised to take him for a nice long hike at Kickapoo Valley Reserve.



It only took about 2 dozen shots to get one that worked. 

Charlie was a good sport and is swiftly learning that I always have treats when we do this.

Off we headed! Charlie even trotted to the Subaru and attempted to jump in when I opened the door. That was a big first. He wanted to go for a ride which is unusual for him. Perhaps he felt he'd been cooped up at home for too long?

By the time we parked at the Star Valley access area, Charlie was beside himself. As soon as I unhooked him from his 'carseat' harness, he jumped over me and was ready to rumble.

I was pretty surprised to run into one of the KVR workers who took time to visit for a bit with us. He was removing Honeysuckle bushes from the edge of a cornfield on the KVR property. I said I was fighting Buckthorn on my own place. 

I whistled to Charlie and we were on our way again. We turned down Old 131 trail and headed towards the ponds and the river. The last time I'd hike here with Charlie, it was in the high 80's and hot. Charlie was in his element. The cooler weather agrees with him. 

We came across two muzzleloader deer hunters. Charlie greeted them and I asked how their hunt was going. Not so great. However they commented that even though their hunt was a bust, the day was beautiful. 

By now Charlie was beside himself. Tail up! He trotted along with a purpose. The smells on the sides of the trails needed his attention. He had to mark the area as we walked. That alone keeps a little dog very busy.

There was a couple sitting on the bench out on the floating deck of the east facing pond. Charlie was a-quiver! I asked if I could let Charlie come out to say hello. They were delighted. As was Charlie who immediately sat at their feet and looked back at me as if to say. "Stay there. I'm fine getting petted. Go away."

I whistled and Charlie came back. I swear he was smiling. 

My goal was to check out the closed trail and the old horse crossing that had been closed after the 2018 floods. Campsite G had been a pretty neat place to camp out with river access and I thought it would be a good time to explore it. Soon enough the cliffs above the river would be sporting ice formations.

Below is the view of where I was going taken in December of 2017.


December 4th, 2020


Interesting to see that I'd picked nearly the same exact spot 3 years later. The pile of wood and debris in the first shot is no longer anywhere around. That debris was part of a bridge from further upstream from the flash flood of 2016.
The bank has changed with soil and grasses washed away and the rock remains steadfast and strong.

We found the campsite and poked around. I found some campfire wood up on the bank but it wasn't used and it was quite aged. The Reserve has taken this site off their map, however I think canoers still stop there. 

We moved on and turned back. I'd seen what I wanted to. The ice was forming on the backwater ponds.


The only real spot of bright color was the Highbush Cranberries. Not many were left on the bush.


The couple had left the bench on the floating dock. Charlie and I stopped there for a treat for him, an apple for me.
I didn't want to get caught out too late, so we turned back towards Star Valley and hustled.

The gent that was clearing Honeysuckle was still there. He apologized for asking, but inquired if I was a local. So we struck up a conversation. Of course it was about his passion and mine. Battling invasive species of plants. We talked about cutting and bagging and cutting or cutting and using on a dab of herbicide. He wanted to know how I kept track of which stumps had which methods. I explained my crazy method of marking with spray paint.

Two large brown hounds came trotting up to Charlie and I who were sitting in the middle of the trail. Charlie was ecstatic. Big Friends!
The owner came around with his shotgun. He had been hunting pheasants.
The hunter apologized for his hounds and I waved him off telling him I'd raised plenty of hounds over the years and thought his were beautiful.

Off they went while I finished talking with the invasive species guy. His specialty is going after those nasty plants. I commented on seeing his truck this past summer and he said to stop by for a chat if I saw him next time out.



We headed back to the parking area but gave the hunter plenty of room so if his dogs did flush a pheasant, he'd be able to get one.

Charlie had other ideas. He wanted to catch up to them and play.


I reached the parking area and the hunter was just loading up. He said he didn't get a decent shot all afternoon, but it still was a good day. I agreed. 
The young hound trotted over and had to nose Charlie up and down.

The hunter called his dog.

We all loaded up and headed out.

What a great afternoon! Charlie and I got our hiking fix and got to visit safely with other humans and dogs!

It was a win-win for us.




5 comments:

  1. Great photo of Charlie....a perfect Christmas card! You both had a good day out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably use it as next year's card.
      And yes, we had a very nice day out and about. Lots of fun for the both of us.
      It makes me realize how much I really miss getting out and being social.

      Delete
  2. Kickapoo Valley Reserve, the one in LaFarge, WI? It sure looks and sounds like it. One of my favorite places to trail ride!! Nice that the hunters were welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. It is between LaFarge and Ontario. I used to trail ride there before it was the reserve. I still ride but don't have a means to trailer my mules there. So I hike.
      I have not yet run across a rude or nasty person in 30 years hiking/riding there.

      Delete
    2. Well, hello fellow WI Blogger! I recently did some house cleaning of inactive blogs & added active ones to my feed - including yours. No clue how I haven't come across it after more than a decade of active blogging. Looking forward to reading more, including battling invasive species.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.