Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Drink water

 



I took the 'boys' on a walk to the creek. Sven was happy not to be in his pen, he took the opportunity to stop and nibble at things as we hiked. Charlie tried to get him to run and play but I guess Sven was more interested in munching and looking around. 

I really hadn't had him out on as many walks/hikes as I should have been doing.
He seems to be very happy most of the time with Li'l Richard's company. 

When I did chores early Tuesday, Sven was shivering. I spent time after chores cleaning out his stall and putting in fresh dry bedding. When I tried to shut him in tonight he threw a temper tantrum. He couldn't see his buddy in the next pen. Pony Goat Love. Or something like that. When they are in the larger lot together Li'l Richard likes to chase Sven around. 

They really have become attached to each other.

I spent most of the afternoon working on brush piles and burning the last of the mess I'd made out by the rock outcropping. That is, until I get more Buckthorn cut down.

Working with a small fire nearby was nice and toasty. I forgot how cold it really was. 10 degrees.


I used the larger hand saw on a couple of the old hard dry Buckthorn trees. My little saw wouldn't do well on that hard wood. I'll have to go back and cover up the stumps a bit later.

The girded trees should die within in a year. Meanwhile I will use them to attach a blind to so I can have myself a Woman Cave.


I actually thought of putting up a bird feeder this winter and using the blind to stay out of sight and out of the frigid breezes. 

I don't know. I could be kidding myself. But it is a good project and will keep me busy. I am encouraged as it is looking pretty nice compared to what it had been.
When the snow falls I can still cut Buckthorn and cover the stumps to smother them.

It does wear a bit on me though. My hands kept cramping up tonight while making supper. Ever have a cramp in your hand that makes your fingers curl up tight? Wow!

I know I hadn't had water out with me. Bad me. Cold weather, working hard, and dehydration are more than likely the culprits. I'll take a thermos out with me next time. 

Last but not least. I created a Christmas colored Fractal for fun tonight.

I had forgotten how fun and frustrating this program can be. I did like this one though.




8 comments:

  1. Sven is looking good! Charlie has been out ranked by Lil Richard! Your pruning area is looking good...as long as you have a fire I bet it is nice...:) Yes old age cramps from using hands too much on hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am building a little rock fire ring there too. Oh yes the hands. I actually had to get up and soak them in hot water last night.
      The Pony and Goat Show is always fun!

      Delete
  2. Wonder how big those tree are. Inoculate them with Oyster Mushrooms and watch the Mushrooms do your work for you. Also... a Tasty snack all summer long! The goat must be handy to have around if you ever need to control Poison Ivy. Goat's browsing on the vines are supposed to cause the ivy to recede back into the ground. A great way to control them and blackberry brambles without roundup or fire.. ( so I have read/researched.. we don't have a goat... but plenty of Poison Ivy around here.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked that up! Wow. Now I would have to figure out how to make the 'shrooms grow on them.
      I would need a large herd to work on my woods. My donkeys used to keep the berry briars trimmed in the one wooded area. But I don't have donks any more.
      The Dexter Cattle were excellent too but cost too much to feed in the winter.
      My neighbor's woods had poison ivy. They have had their goats 7 of them...in their 3 acres for a few years. Not a lick of nasty weeds remain.
      I have tried so hard to convince them to bring their goats to my woods to no avail.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:00 AM

    Love the Christmas Fractal. Those hand craps are painful. It helped me to take mini breaks and stretch my hands or give them a mini massage. Of course many times I was in work mode and didn't stop. I still sleep in what I call my 'WALL.E mode with the fingers interlocked to keep them from curling and locking in the night. I hope yours heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got into the work mode and did not stop either. I knew I should. Today after one day's rest they are good to get back at it... ")

      Delete
  4. How fun that your goat goes on walks with you! One of our cat-dogs regularly joins up on hikes with us, follows the entire way. At some point Leo falls behind, and I end up carrying him. Seriously considering getting a cat pack. What a difference carrying 11 pounds and not being able to free your arms makes. You are inspiring me to do something about our buckthorn, or at least get a plan in place. We had our woods evaluated late summer and learned more about what we've got growing in general. It was a relief to know our woods are in pretty good shape. We want to keep it that way. Sooo many projects when starting a homestead...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sven is a good case of human bonded goats. I helped him come into this world and his momma died the next day so he was bottle fed and kept in a back room at my neighbor's house. They didn't want another goat so I took him. He is like a glue goat in the woods and curious as all get out.
      I have a backpack for my dog Charlie for those rare times he can't make the trip. He is part mini daschund. Hiking is awesome.
      Learning what grows on your land is a good thing. Nasty stuff always wants to grow!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.