Sunday, December 20, 2020

Home home...

I had some conversations with the Respiratory Therapist and his nurse via phone after talking to hubby this morning who was sobbing.
His Respiratory Therapist was concerned but had said that he was holding his own on the treatment he'd been given.

I spoke later with the nurse and we talked about depression and how bad it was. I felt if he was stable all the way around he would be so much better off at home. The longer he was away from home the worse his overall mental health was getting. A sobbing husband doesn't make me feel very good. 

I've been down this road before and have now been able to recognize the direct correlation of desperation and knowing he was 'checking' out. It sounds dramatic, I know, but when really nasty depression hits, this is exactly what comes out of his mouth and he knows he is dying. He may not be dying physically but mentally he is. We too often shy away from talking about mental health care because it is an uncomfortable topic. He is not a nutjob. His brain is damaged in a way we don't understand. 

I pled my case with his nurse. If he was stable, I can still do everything they do...monitor his temp, his blood pressure, and 02 levels. I do that now as a matter of routine. I do his medications, I know him more intimately than any doctor who sees him for 10 minutes.

Fact.
He would do better in familiar surroundings.


Rich told me the nurses were in bubble heads, googles, and full face shields. 

Let's think about that for a moment. Strange rooms, fragile person, [yes he is a tough guy...however he is fragile when he is not feeling well]...strange bubble heads at night in a gloomy room. 

I understand what is happening in our health systems across the country. Over worked healthcare workers. Our little 25 bed hospital is fully loaded. 

So I applaud his nurse for caring enough to hear me out two days in a row and take me seriously. I pointed out that if he was stable enough, he needed to get Mental Health care that they could not offer. He needed to be in a familiar place.

I can do the job of a CNA. I can't do IV's, but I can be there. I can care for him because I do care about him in ways no staff of any place could.

And on Monday morning I can connect with a VA Mental Health provider by phone.

So. The nurse pled my case to the doctor and the doctor visited Rich and said he was medically stable enough to go home. 

He is home! Charlie is relieved, Rich seemed relieved. He is still struggling, but he isn't attached to beepers and being descended upon by Bubble Heads and strangers.

He is mostly in bed, however he has gotten up to eat. I did offer to fix a plate for him to sit in bed and eat. He decided no, he could sit up at the table.
He has suffered a medical insult to his system but I will spare you the diagnosis. 

And now we are under quarantine because he was on the Covid wing.

I now have time to construct the Suck Box. Eddie, my son was the one who had come up with the idea a long time ago. I love it.

Crossed Fingers for the next 14 days.


12 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:32 PM

    Crossed fingers the next 14 days. So wonderful that he is home and in your and Charlie's loving care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course now I feel paranoid. His emotional state is much better here. Prednisone via IV was not good for him. Very emotional side effects, he has two more oral doses to go. The med was necessary but they were not prepared for the side effects. He is doing well on home oxygen, but still recovering.

      Delete
  2. I am sorry for your struggles. I hope that home provides what is needed to sort out the emotions. There is nothing like being able to shut the door and think your own thoughts, control your own space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the issues with emotions was the treatment for COPD/Bronchitis & Covid. Prednisone steroids open the lungs, and do have rapid mood changes and nightmares as a side effect. He was getting steroids through the IV. This all came together in one huge emotional dump. His emotional state is much better now at home.

      Delete
  3. I’m so glad he is home. That is the best medicine he can have. I can’t wait to find out more about the suck box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, will be messing with its creation today. Chuckle...a Suck Box creation for Christmas and Beyond!

      Delete
  4. Prednisone can be horrid and I know it affects everyone differently. The next time you see his VA docs via phone or in person explain the situation and have them write out a care plan with instructions should he have to visit the local hospital again...which I
    hope he doesn't have to do. It may prevent something like his meds being changed again.
    Yes I have fingers and toes crossed for you for 14 days...so glad he is home...have him do some deep breathing several times a day and drink as much fluids as possible those two things are always hard for my husband...but I keep after him... especially after being ill.
    Yes we know our "guys" better than the Docs...it comes with years of experience in the trenches.
    Hope you get some time to relax today when Rich is resting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will get a new print out of his meds. I doubt he'd agree to go back, but we will see. I think he is on the mend.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:01 AM

    How wonderful! You are a super star.
    I had a "Bummer Journal" for a long time. Maybe it is time to find it again.
    Take Care of yourself,
    Kaye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't intend for it to be a bummer, but more informative as to how things will happen right now if a loved one goes to the hospital for any reason. Our case was particular as the patient has PTSD along with other issues which are not handled well by a non VA location. The VA was full.
      I wonder what it is like for dementia patients when the are admitted these days?

      Delete
  6. He doesn't have covid, but has NOW been exposed to it. ( I dislike hospitals.) Welcome back home! I'm sure it is an improvement. Plus... "Bubble heads" had me laughing. A great name in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reaction, he doesn't have it, but was on a Covid Wing with Bubble Heads and Space Cadets had his VA doctor mumbling and audibly sighing loudly. Even worse was the thought that he was on that wing and treated so aggressively.
      That said..he IS doing much better. So I throw my hands up in the air.
      After all, now I have a reason to actually say I am not going anywhere until next year!
      ")

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.