Wednesday, December 02, 2020

Stories from kids and whatnot

I didn't check my mail on Saturday afternoon. But Monday morning I found a stuffed envelope from Charlie's young friends in Missouri. The boys had drawn pictures for us and the 3rd grader who reads at 6th grade or above had written a story for us!
The story included Poop Rocks [I'll explain later], Charlie, magic crystals, and saving the world! 
Of course I read the story and took the challenge of trying to take photos to match the story. 


On top of the mailbox was a large box from my childhood friend. She'd said something about sending a care package on Friday, so of course I was not expecting it at all on Saturday.

Inside the package was two tubs of cookies [she is an excellent baker and cook!] and several small items wrapped in tissue paper. There were a couple of notes and a card.
Her note said: 

PS: My childhood zoo voted to go too. They want to meet Lil Bear and all of his buddies. I promise they won't eat much.
Hugs.


I immediately set aside the cookies and unwrapped the 'zoo'. You would have sworn that I was opening gifts at Christmas time. I felt like a child as I slowly unwound the tissue papers. Each toy gave me a squeak of glee and I marveled at the tiny wooden zoo animals. A Weiner dog, donkey, monkey, elephant, deer, and squirrel. 

I was out on Monday afternoon with a couple of the toys. Charlie and I took a walk to the mailbox and detoured past my favorite rock to set out toys.



And then we worked on photos for the story that was sent to us.


ValBarbie and RichKen make a return from the drawer
they were sitting in for the story!
Note the 'little' Charlie dog too!


The endangered Crystal and the Poop rock. 
These are actually iron concretions found in my creek bottom 
and the kids found some. 
They were fascinated by the forms of the rocks and 
dubbed the long bumpy ones as ... you guessed it, Poop Rocks.

~~~~

My friend called me Monday afternoon and we talked about my love of toys combined with photography. I told her maybe I was just a silly old fool. And she replied that she loved that I still was able to exercise my 12 year old mind.

After all, it has been going on a long time. I can't help myself. 

I was always considered the odd one.... Points Down.....





5 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:48 PM

    I encourage you to embrace your odd and 12 year old creative mind. What joy of seeing your creations as your spread the fun to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I loved Gannon's story and he made it easy to follow and photo as he dreamed up the story from his visit here.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely gift! I love your imagination! You rock...and that poop rock does look like poop:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids can remember Poop Rock much easier than Iron Concretions. We've called them poop rocks for 20 some years. After every major flash flood we find quite a few.

      Delete
  3. What a very special gift. Right up your alley.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.