Thursday, December 10, 2020

The Woods and New Tool

For me
the door to the woods
is the door to the temple. ~Mary Oliver, Upstream


Now that the big gun deer season is over I can pretty much wander again freely. I had no idea how cooped up I was feeling until I was able to get out again.

This morning the ice was collecting on the grass next to the creek and there was a fairly heavy frost on the plants above it.

One just has to have a love/hate relationship with Multiflora Rose. The red rose 'hips' are quite beautiful as are the leaves with frost.


The thorns however are nasty!


By yesterday afternoon the temperatures rose up into the 40's.

I burned my small buckthorn piles.



This area was choked with dead buckthorn trees that I simply tipped over and stacked them. The area was so dense with dead branches that it was almost impossible to walk through. 
Normally I don't do intensive labor in the pasture, but this area is pretty unique.


It is a rock formation. Below is the view from the top of the rock outcrop. So far I have cleaned the area of all the nasty weeds and deadfalls. The dead tree that my coat is hanging on will get chopped up when someone with a chainsaw comes along. Perhaps I can just push it down eventually too.


My burn piles are very small and very controlled. I don't burn with any winds and this week we had 3 days of calm.




This isn't far from the house, yet it feels isolated. I can sit here on a log and read if I want. I can sit and just listen and watch the woods too. 
In the black dirt I'm hoping to plant shade grass and see if I can't get some ferns to grow too.

I have a lot of fun and imagined plans for this spot. 
[Wouldn't a little movable shelter be nice there??? Bird watching? How about putting out a feeder and sitting there photographing them? Sitting and reading?...ahhh so many possibilities.]
Look at it this way. It is keeping me off the streets!


For the old larger Buckthorn trees, I gird them with my machete. I peel the bark from around the limbs and trunk. They should die and stop spreading. Well, that is my hope. Once the roots die back I'll be able to tip them over and chop them up.



I ordered a new tool to help me with cutting down the smaller trees.

I don't use a chain saw for obvious reasons...I'd cut my legs off. I generally use a handsaw and it gives me great satisfaction to saw a 5" tree down. But it is tiring. Thank goodness the Buckthorn never get to be as big as oak trees!

New Tool. 


This will mostly be used on 3 to 6" Buckthorn Trees. I will saw them down and dab the stump with a Herbicide or cover it in a plastic bag to kill off the roots. I could use soup cans too to smother them. 



This tool was husband approved. We had a lengthy discussion about my cutting abilities and dis-abilities. 

Watch out multiflora rose and buckthorn! I am on a mission!






4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:44 AM

    The rose bush with ice crystals is so beautiful. I used a similar tool to cut small trees and branches. It worked great but I found the vibration to be hard on my arthritic hands, still it got the job done quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard on the hands but I was using a machete or hand saw and my hands and shoulders hurt like the devil by the next morning.
      I went at it hard today while waiting on a delivery and close to the house. It went well. My fingers DO hurt, but the shoulders aren't screaming.
      So I guess I'm doing okay?
      Those wild rose bushes are so pretty yet so sharp!

      Delete
  2. Buckthorn is so invasive, it sounds like you are getting it under control! Your new tool looks awesome! We have a similar one a battery operated saws all...it works great as long as it is charged up! I like it outside too...it has been great to get out almost everyday. I store my baby brothers gator for him...so I can use it when ever I want. We have a three wheeler too...but the gator is more comfortable:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't have it under control at all. There is one section that is all Buckthorn trees. Those Trail cam photos come from the Buckthorn Forest. I am just working on some areas that make me feel in control.
      I can get the 4 wheeler in a few places but the hills are too scary for me to do much with it, so it packs tools in a cart to the meadow.
      I guess I like a good fight and it may as well be with an invasive plant. No one gets hurt!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.