Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Interesting

Well that was very interesting regarding the 'Retreat' Motivational Thing. I will give it credit as the ladies who are working on it are really working hard. And their program that is offered will resonate with a certain clientele. 

Speaking of Retreats and other events, our area has had quite the uptick of folks moving in from California, Chicago, and other areas. Viroqua became a magnet for a change of culture and people. Good article here:

How Hippies Saved Viroqua

On main street you can find the most interesting store fronts from herbalist to palm reading, art, eclectic antiques, Gelato, and more.

There are always interesting 'offers' that make you scratch your head and go...hmmmm...

There is a farm that lets you pay a fee and join other women to hang out in Hammocks in their forest and um...well...for a fee of something like $60, you can do Nature Journaling. You can find your connections to the natural world and learn that women are um 'magical'.

Here is another one: Dear Friends, you can now apply for an apprenticeship. The magical plant herbalism apprenticeship is now open for enrollment for a fee of $1600. She offers her best selling book also and claims that she is an award winning author. 

I did search out her name and looked for her awards and didn't find them.

Can you say, Snake Oil Salesperson?

Maybe I can offer something too! 

For a small hourly fee, I can take guide you through my magical mystical wild woods with my Goat Sven as a loving and endearing companion. 

Actually, I can only offer what I have learned in life. But it isn't for sale, it is free. 

I try not to give advice because I never spend time in another person's shoes. 


"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for
...and the most you can do is live inside that hope."
Quote from Barbara Kingsolver, Animal Dreams.


I am pretty pleased with how things turned out. Until I moved here and joined hubby, I was really afloat in that big outside world.

I find my days mostly pleasing.

Where else can you go and sit in the middle of a road and enjoy a sunrise??







14 comments:

  1. How about one of that kumbatcha bars...we have one in town and a hooka shop...town here is real artsy fartsy and other than ben franklin I rarely go to shop on Main Street. In the summer you are hard pressed to find a parking spot...tourists. Love Charlie at sunset! Just be you Val...you are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is probably one in our town as well as a coffee shop, but artsy fartsy is what the tourists want and that makes $$$!
      LOL. I can be nothing but just me.

      Delete
  2. Awesome shot with Charlie!
    And yeah.... some flaky people out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly enough the flakes saved a very dead town and revitalized it. I'm not sure if I am happy or sad. But it is nice to see the downtown busy. Once time most of the store fronts were closed.

      It took several shots with Charlie, he prefers to ignore me and a camera.

      Delete
  3. It's nice they have new things that people enjoy. I am perfectly happy in my own house, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:14 AM

    Fantasmagoric photos!!!!! Why the renaissance in your town???? Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our small town was nearly empty of all businesses in the early 1990's when I moved here. Now it is flourishing with new blood and new ideas.

      Delete
  5. I just finished a Barbara Kingsolver novel. I guess I see nothing wrong in a dying out town being revitalized by people bringing newness in. If the old was working, the town wouldn't be dying! I go to my old neighborhood in St. Paul and don't know where I am. Charlie and the sunset, that is a beautiful photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a retreat for most everything these days. People/places make a living at hosting them. Interesting article. I enjoyed reading it. Folks are into such odd things like days. Like coffee enemas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I do wonder sometimes what someone will think of next.
      Glad you liked the article. There is more to the revitalization of Viroqua than just that, but the "foodies" were a huge boost. We have the largest used bookstore in the state very eclectic, live music somewhere every weekend, and so much going on for folks.
      It isn't my cup of tea, but the out of towners love it!

      Delete
    2. EWWWW coffee enemas????

      Delete
    3. typo **odd things THESE days (not like days)**

      Yes. There are actual locations that offer coffee enemas. Probably not at Starbucks ;) You can buy them online etc. I first heard mention of them while watching a health webinar. I agree EWWWW!

      Delete
  7. The sunrise is wonderful. I have to stand in the middle of the street to take some photos and it makes my wife so nervous when she sees me do it. Great colors in the sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is exactly why I am so lucky to live here, I can stand in the road and not worry about traffic most of the time!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.