Sunday, September 03, 2023

Motivational Speak and Empowerment....

 Oxford Dictionary:

Empowerment definition:
the authority or power given someone to do something
or
the process of becoming stronger and more confident, especially in controlling one's life and claiming one's rights.


Motivational Speak:
Emotional message and purpose...yaddah yaddah...and so forth.

So there are some gals holding a Woman's Retreat to help Empower women so they can meet challenges in life. Yoga, Self Defense, Hike in Nature, Catered Lunch, Motivational Speaker, and so forth for a whole day. 


One of the gals who I know through the gym was asking me if I would attend. I  gave an evasive answer because even though I'd love to spend the day doing stuff with these women pals, I wasn't exactly comfy with the whole scenario. 

There is a nearly $200 price tag for the day. It would probably be a lot of fun. Even at my age, the word "Networking" comes to mind. These women own businesses and are pretty impressive on their own.

But the word EMPOWERMENT kept nagging at me. To me it means something different???

After a day of using the air compressor, a drill, a saw, a mini chain saw, handling chores, moving mules around, checking to see why one mule had a sore foot, watering, cooking for the two of us and sorting meds for the next week.............I sat back on a overturned bucket in the shed. 
I decided to think about this event. 

Conquering Through: Facing Challenges!!! 

Hmmm. 

I'm a Caregiver and I also take care of our little 'farm' and all the decisions that have to do with the house/farm maintenance.
Facing challenges? Most of you know that folks who care for others do face daily challenges and not the kind that will be talked about by a Motivational Speaker.

I mean, if I was there, could I contribute on how to handle a loved one when bathing them? How to agree with someone who knows the sky IS purple today? 

I don't think that is going to be anywhere near what is going to be covered. 

Back to Empowerment. 
Empowerment definition:
the authority or power given someone to do something
or
the process of becoming stronger and more confident, especially in controlling one's life and claiming one's rights.



Yep. I wanted a tree swing for years. Yesterday I gave myself
the authority and power to do it.


I also wanted to trim a tree and build a spot
where I could watch deer from a place 
in another tree. So I built a place for my
morning coffee..
while I sit in the little stand with my 
back against the massive trunk.

The view from this little stand allows me
to gaze over our little meadow and
the neighbor's land to the east.
I can see the house from here and yet
I can feel removed from indoors and
feel surrounded by
nature.


Oh heck, by the end of the day I felt pretty powerful errrr, empowered

It is nice that I was asked [now over and over!]. But I wonder if those that are in charge of organizing the Retreat realize that I am a generation ahead of them. The target age of those organizing and running the retreat and those going are in their 30's and 40's.

I'm sort of torn between wanting to go and thinking that there is really nothing in it for me. I am curious though as to what this next generation is thinking. 
That would be interesting.

I mean, I recall burning bras! I recall title IX which allowed females to play sports! It was a civil right for women! 

Suddenly I was able to play on a team and not just after school intramurals. 
Bam! One year later women gained more access to health care with Roe V Wade.
I understand that the younger women of today are facing all sorts of challenges that are different from my generation.

Should I go? Hmmm? The worst that could happen...is that I learn something from a different perspective.

So there you go....


My Inspirational and Motivational Thought today?





Last note: Red Flag Warning for us through tonight and tomorrow. YIKES!

15 comments:

  1. Stay safe under your warnings!
    I think you are an example of an empowered woman! It might be interesting to attend, but I don't think $200 interesting. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I am struggling with too. That, and someone to check in on hubby since I would be unavailable for about 6 hours.

      Delete
  2. I think you'd pay that large fee and end up being an unpaid teacher! They may want what you can give, but not have much to give you. I'd have another use for the $$.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I really was torn, but I'm leaning towards going to our county fair instead. I'll probably meet some of my friends that have children in 4H and FFA.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:13 PM

    I have never known you not to be empowered! Staying home was the right thing to do, saving two hundred bucks. You always do what needs to be done and don't wait around for someone else to do it. Women who live on farms and have animals lead very different lives from those who don't. You are loaded with many responsibilities and always meet the challenge, Kudos!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The event is in two weeks. But I think I should save myself the $ too and just enjoy something different. The fair or perhaps a day hiking!

      Delete
  4. I think you should save the two hundred dollars and go buy yourself a lot of things that make you feel special. Caregivers sometimes just have to break away but not with people who think they are victimized. Over comers do suffer but they still have a sound mind to trek on and do the good things. You built some good things for yourself and I bet there are more things you can create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What sage advice. Perhaps I will just do something that makes me happy!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous9:05 AM

    I find you to be a very powerful person. You handle your life with grace, creativity and have fun doing it.
    Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it wasn't $200 I'd say go for the experience, god know you are empowered. And powerful. The money would stop me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am torn about it, but think I'll find something to do anyway for a bit like go and support my favorite 4H kids!

      Delete
  7. The retreat doesn't sound like a good fit. Love the swing & bench!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of going on a solo 'retreat' next year anyway. I will retreat from being a Caregiver for a few days!

      Delete
  8. You are already empowered and could give the class yourself at a lesser cost! I would not go, not my cup of tea. If those gals stepped into your shoes for a day then they could learn a thing or two:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sort of how I feel about it.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.