Wednesday, September 13, 2023

The Flowers last hurrahs!


The cosmos and the Morning Glories out on the Wagon Wheel far from the house are having a majestic display right now.
I find that interesting as I haven't watered these plants in ages, only enough to get them started!

However I planted them near the leach field so I think they are flourishing on the moisture in that soil?


 






I have a riot of colors and the vines have grown onto the Orange Cosmos and dead Bachelor's Buttons that are still standing.



The 4 o'clocks are producing seeds like crazy right now. I take a bucket and shake their little black seeds right into the bucket for collection.

These flowers open in the evening with a heavenly scent. The hummingbirds love them. I have white, yellow, pink and this bright color. They close after the morning sun hits them and sometimes on a cloudy day, they will stay open most of the day.


I have Orange Cosmos, and a few bicolored cosmos flowers which are giving up their last hurrahs also. However, I finally figured out how to collect their seeds so I will have a huge mass of them next year!

The bees are still busy on the open blossoms. These flowers will blossom until the first frost.



The Nasturtiums make me smile as their vines creep onto the porch. I turn them so they don't crawl up to the door. Their blossoms are never ending and the leaves and blossoms are a tasty treat to just munch on or add to salads.






I even stuck a sweet potato in the ground that was sprouting [a store purchase]. It has the most beautiful purple leaves! I think I'll use some next year to add interest to my planters, they have a gorgeous color.

The coleus plants are all in buckets so I can move them easily. The one below with the sign marks Morris's place of rest between the pines.


I just thought it would be fun to have lights across these brightly colored plants now that the days are shorter.


This fake spider has resided in my succulent pie pan for ages. Kids get a great kick out of it and the little tiny hedgehogs that are placed around the plants.


I like fun critters in my garden...Oh!
Not the horse or mules though!
Now you can see how close to the house they are.  We love it that way. 





Here is the pallet garden and the shaded wildflower garden in the side yard. Messy looking, but full of beauty.
Next year the pallet garden will go all the way to the house so I don't have to mow that tiny square between the LP tank and the house.



Hopefully, this was not too much to bear in photos. But this is what keeps me hopping all year long. In the summer I tend the plants and in the winter I plan the plantings!



I have a lot of perennials to split and move, but I will have to wait until we actually get rain to dig in the rock hard ground.

I'm going to lay a tarp out on another section of the old veggie garden and mix it with flowers and perhaps some veggies next year. It will have to be small enough so I can weed it and hand cultivate it as I cannot run a tiller.

Enjoy these days with your flowers and take lots of photos to take you through the winter!

My Garden Piggy! She is
always so Happy!





7 comments:

  1. I really like all your sculptures. The morning glories are loving the weather right now. I like all the variety of colors of them. Your whole yard looks wonderful and the mules probably would love to munch on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do take the mules out with a halter and lead rope and let them graze where we do have some grass that is growing by the leach field. :)
      thanks!

      Delete
  2. Your flowers are just lovely. It sounds like they were saving all that beauty for September.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty blooms! The cool nights really make the colors pop! Most everything around here is dried up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here too! The dog makes puffs of dust when he walks across the yard!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful flowers & photos! My fav Four O'Clock color of your mix, is that dark multi-color fushia. A lot less spouted than last year, thanks to the drought. 3 plants finally grew in my bfly garden. They are big and full of blooms. I think of you while enjoying them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I had several large batches that did very well and some places that didn't. For whatever reason, the places I neglected did better! I hope the yellows will cross with the fuschia and create striped ones.
      I have more seeds if you are in need of them! I'm collecting quite a few again this year!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.