Sunday, September 10, 2023

I did a thing in the kitchen

Well, it started out in the forest of course. I visited one of my favorite wild apple trees and picked half a 5 gallon bucket full of apples.

Most of the apples were really good and a few were nasty
with bugs or wormies.
These are the ones that didn't make it to
my chopping board.


Because the color wasn't pretty, I ran out 
to the wild grape vine by the busted garage
and picked several handfuls of grapes.


I strain apples the old fashioned way with a cloth and a strainer.
I understand that using a steam juicer is
faster, but this was how I learned to do it.
So I stick with this method.



Viola! Pretty pink apple juice.

Yes!
I can use the stove! 


One thing I love to do is make jelly. I love beautiful colorful and clear jelly. I probably will only make this one batch as I am the only one who really eats it on my toast and PB&J. 

The jar with the handle was the leftover. 
That will go in the fridge right away.




Hubby made a request for Apple Butter which I will do also. I usually make one or two batches of applesauce a year as we eat that as a desert or as a side with pork chops.

Next week, I'll be preserving our veggies for the winter. I'll get a few bunches of carrots to freeze along with some other fresh veggies. 

I've been gathering seeds for next year's flower garden and an exchange with other neighbors. 

I'm eyeing the wild grape vines. They really produced this year....

I wonder....

Oh and tomorrow? I am looking forward to another 'Thing'.

It thankfully does not involve a kitchen!


7 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:20 PM

    My comments don't want to post again. Hope this one works! You were very domestic today and I am so impressed! Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got your comment, they don't post until I approve of them.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, the color!! And I bet that jelly is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious, the pretty color is added with some wild grapes! :)

      Delete
  3. I have never made jelly or jam! The grapes were an inspired addition, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was something I helped with as a kid and since store bought jellies and jams always tasted off to me, I just make my own. thank you...

      Delete
  4. I love to make jams. I have done jellies, but they are a bit more work. Ted only eats raspberry jam but I am more adventurous. My canning diva friend sent me some nectarine jam- beautiful colour! and some rhubarb marmalade that is awesome.
    My garden is sparse this year as I barely got is set up, but my bean tunnel produced like crazy! Blue Lake pole beans. Canned a bunch and froze a bunch and gave away a whole lot of 'em.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.