Monday, September 25, 2023

Color Blasts

 


The above photo was taken while it was drizzling and very overcast. Charlie and I decided to go to our favorite place to go for a hike despite the weather. When I saw the incredible colors on the hillsides, I found a side road to pull off on and stop.

I live in the likes of these hills and heavy forests. This side road is on the flood plain of the Kickapoo River. It is one of the rare 'flat' areas in the region. 

Since I live surrounded by large forests and valleys, I enjoy walking in the morning and afternoon to catch the sunlight that streams down on changing leaves.


The colors are beautiful as they always are. I imagine that things will really get going and be done within two weeks around here. 


The deep forest is still quite green in most areas but splashes of color are all peeking through.


This time of the year I generally walk up and down this old 4 wheeler trail and watch as the forest turns colors.

In a few more years, the forest will grow back over the trail and it will be hidden from view, but for now, I'll enjoy it.


Soon all these maples and other trees will start to drop their yellow leaves and the path will look golden. Then...it all disappears. In the late fall and winter, this makes for an interesting walk too. 

I went by one of the wild apple trees and decided to pick some for some apple sauce or more jelly. This tree is fun to watch in the late fall from a stand I have in my pasture. The deer come through late fall and winter to eat the fallen fruit.



Walking back to do chores I found another huge flush of Chicken of the Woods! This time on an old Ash tree stump that we'd tried to burn. This is our old brush pile.



Seems the color theme of the day was of reds, yellows, and orange colors!
I'm so pleased that my Lego People are always around to lend a hand.




10 comments:

  1. What gorgeous colors you found!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's turning color here, too. I live in a heavily wooded area, also, but nothing like where you are. it seems wild there. You are fortunate to have such willing help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty wild. I am surrounded by large tracts of forests, valleys, and hills!

      Delete
  3. I owned a property that had an apple tree just like that. You leaf color changes are striking. We are not there yet even though I see some subtle changes. It is nice you can get out and walk daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have lived next to this property for nearly 30 years and have the ability to explore it all year 'round except during gun deer season! I am lucky!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:05 PM

    Did you grow those yellow tomatoes? We did not grow any this summer and I love them! Beautiful colors surround you. Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are yellow tomatoes that I picked up at a Mennonite garden store this spring. They didn't get great care this summer but are producing like crazy! I have tons from just two plants!

      Delete
  5. Some lovely vibrant colours! Around here there are only yellow.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.