Saturday, September 30, 2023

I 'yam a tired hiker!


So The Grandma said that Charlie needed a rest and that she wanted to take me to something called the Reserve to hike trails.
I don't know what a Reserve is, I do know trails though.

She said it was a good day to go because it had rained and the trails were closed to horses and bikes where we were going and that meant I didn't have to deal with MONSTERS!



 I was so alert and so full of it that The Grandma put on a long line and my chain leash. I was pulling and charging a lot because every time an acorn dropped I was sure it was a squirrel. I kept staring up into the trees and watching for other Wild-ed Animals. 


The Grandma was afraid I'd bolt and get away on the little leash so she had her long cord on me too. I never did bolt, but I sure did a lot of pulling in certain parts of the trail. I even tracked deer, coyote, and raccoon tracks!

The Grandma said she I gave her arms a good workout with my pulling.

I didn't care, I was having a good time. She also said that I was useful going up steep hills and if I stayed with her in the winter I could be her sled dog. 
Neat. What is a sled dog? Charlie wasn't around to ask.




The trails went on and on and on! The Grandma said she knew where we were going even though I was the one leading. Several times I would have just gone off through the woods because I smelled very interesting things in the distance.


On one section of the trail the Grandma kept stopping because there were so many interesting tiny things.



I was really good about that. I sat next to her or tried to stand on top of her to see what she was looking at.

She had strange names for these things. 

Bear's Head Tooth Fungi


Gem Studded Puffball


Oh oh oh! And there was so much more! But these little things really didn't interest me at all. I liked smelling much more. I took the time to watch the trees for squirrels.

I figured since the Grandma and I were out all by ourselves, I would need to protect her from the squirrels in case they attacked. 

She probably needs protection from all the forest things! Which made me think which I can sometimes do...... 

How does Charlie protect her? 


We finally made it back to the car.


...and before we left the parking area....



I hiked with the Grandma and survived the big scary wonderful woods! 

I 'yam a Hiker too!






10 comments:

  1. You tell Gramma that the goal of Gramma Camp is to wear out the campers! I think she succeeded!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twila is going to sleep for a week when she goes home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was happy and subdued when I handed her back to her mom and dad. I did love her energy though!

      Delete
  3. You are a good grandma. That Bears Head is pretty cool. We suddenly have a lot of the golfball, I mean puff balls popping up everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw some of the giant puffballs on my hike too! I just didn't take shots of them as they are just big and white looking. I'm happy that the fungi is showing up right now!

      Delete
  4. Looks like a fun day for a city dog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She had such a great time but it is cute how she collapsed in the back. Young dogs are fun as they learn new things about the world. You shots are good ones. I enjoyed going on the hike with you two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:12 PM

    I was catching up on your blog and I am very sorry for the loss of your goat.Never, easy to loose a friend.
    I enjoyed reading about Grandma Camp! Twila will love to come back.
    Take Care,
    Kaye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing Sven was hard, but as farm life goes on, I have to also. I'd love to have a mini goat but the other half says no.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.