Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Yuck

 88 degrees at 9:30PM with 60 % humidity. 

I am happy that I am not sleeping in a tent. I am grateful that we have a cool and dry house.

Wow, I have no idea how anyone could rest in this heat and humidity. It just boggles my mind. I know hubby wouldn't survive long in this weather so again, I am grateful for our decision to install the mini split this spring.

That said at 7AM this morning it was beastly out also. I took out my waterproof camera in a camera bag and set it on the porch to slowly acclimate to the weather. 


The mules have a heavily shaded area that I save for just this kind of situation. I use this little section sparingly. 

The grass has come back nicely after the last rain we had a week ago. There is day time shade and when there is a breeze, they can stand under the box elders and languish in the cool air.



They have small 25 gallon tank so they can get drinks of fresh water and I can easily dump it and fill it again with a hose.


Gosh, us Northern Folk don't do so well with lots of heat!


But at least we can grin and think about those days that are coming where we have to wear Fudd Hats and snow suits!


We are setting records for overnight high temperatures and I think some records were broken today for our part of the state. But so far so good.

After all, I could just fill up a spare stock tank and go sit in it!


We did get over 100F by 4PM when I went out to refresh critter water. I did chores at that time because the breezes were supposed to quit when by sunset.

However, we are not enduring the heat as long as others in our country are having to do. Can you imagine being in places that have not seen a let up of intense heat for over a month?


Yikes.

Stay well.



11 comments:

  1. I feel so blessed to have AC. Tonight the heat is coming and it is pushing behind the tornados that just passed over head (but didn't touch down). Not a fan of Mother Nature tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us too! Our mini split worked wonders during these hot days. Hopefully the storms didn't cause any problems!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:11 AM

    Over 100+ degrees every day here since early JUNE! And no rain for over two months. It is critically dry here. Even we Texans are not used to this heat for weeks and months on end. It wears you down. 110 yesterday and more of the same for the next week. RHill3, TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you loud and clear! A friend of mine on Flickr from TX told me the same thing. She said it was consistently above 110 where she lived. How awful! Hope you get some relief soon!

      Delete
  3. We all do what we can to endure. I also don't do heat well ,(northerner here!) and am so grateful our home has AC. Glad your mules have a shady place to hang out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a forest for them to be in is a bonus on days of extreme weather.

      Delete
  4. I am not made for this! Even I turned the a/c on the past two days. My horses have lots of trees to stand under. They have done surprisingly well, knock on wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that weird? They are covered in a fur coat and seem not to be too bothered! Even nekked I couldn't have dealt with being out in that heat too long! Stay cool!

      Delete
  5. The night temps are so strange to be high. The AC is a blessing and it does rest once in a while in the night but not for so long. Keep the water running in the stock tanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh water is always a wonderful thing for the animals.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous7:34 PM

    Glad I don't live in Texas or Arizona.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.