Thursday, August 24, 2023

Not Weather

I intended to complain about the heat and humidity again, but decided that we all know what was going on and how nasty it was. I was entertained by the posts on FB regarding the temperatures. 

How many people took photos of the temperature reading in their cars??? Lots! Others took photos of their weather station thingies. One even posted a photo of herself with an outdoor thermometer on a tree. Hmmm.

Well.

Me? I got up early and went to CrossFit. I know. Nuts, right? But it was the coolest part of the second day of the heat dome. It was a rowing and burpee work out. Who doesn't love burpees? 

When I got home I decided to put together my fun little 'story'. 

These are the Kenner toy versions which are not very posable but very suitable for kids [or in my case??? Big kids.] 

They came from another second hand shop a good find for a couple of dollars....

I have taken an instant liking to them. Last week I carried them around on my hikes and adventures so I could look for spontaneous fun with them.

This blue one is called PZ-C4O or Peazy. I looked up what this droid was supposed to be and found out that it was a 'she' droid and she handled communications and other difficult tasks. She seems charming in a way.


I thought she should meet the other Droid I had called NED-B. Or NED for short. Apparently he worked moving shipments and off loading and loading things to ships. He also like to Bonk bad guys on the head. 
What a great Droid!

NED meets Peazy in the forest and hands her an Oak Gall. A romance ensues. I mean come on! Who saw that coming?


I'm going to explain something here. I have a very vivid imagination which I suppose one day will get me into a lot of trouble. At my age, should I have such an imagination? I don't really know.

Imagine me telling my caregiver that I want to play with my Legos or that my stuffed animals on the bed are talking to me. Right? That is when they carry me off to another ward.

~~~

The toys develop their own stories, I rarely have to think up the next progression. It just seemed natural ... that they would become good friends.

And they'd go on hikes...


And spend time quietly together talking about being droids and other droid things like ... well, who knows?


And then this happened...



Hmmm, they seem to be making a story of their own and I just am along for the ride.


Regarding 'play'.

and creativity in older adults---

I see those who are creative with cooking, sewing, knitting, crocheting, baking, drawing, singing, gardening...., just to name a few things. Anything in my mind is better than sitting and channel surfing on the couch. [These activities along with being sociable seem to keep a person younger at heart perhaps??]

I find strange joy in using my imagination in what may be called Childish Play. But my love of photography always leads me to make a story even if it is very short story.

--- It started with Morris and his toys years ago. 

The stories were written for my Grandkids. When they visited, they usually took a walk in the woods with me. On the walks they'd name parts of the forest. The Big Woods, The Big Creek, and so forth. So I revisited our walks with Morris and his toys and let an adventure happen.

The kids loved it and I wrote a few short books about what happened on their walks. The joy of making up the stories stuck with me. I used photos of Morris with his toys. Sometimes it was impossible to get a shot I wanted and sometimes more interesting things happened when Morris did his own thing and didn't follow the script.

In other words, we just let things happen and had a LOT of fun.

When Morris died, I couldn't bring myself to try anything like that again. His toys were dormant, they wouldn't 'speak' to me. 

Give me cast off toys and things seem to happen.

I go with the flow and don't think too hard about it. 
It just happens.

Our adventures were always fun and we never knew what was going to happen!




Enjoy the next few days if the heat has passed!


9 comments:

  1. I love that you share your creativity! AND Ned brought flowers!! What a guy! Keep having fun! Stay cool, is was like an oven here today but cooled off this evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cooled here too. We are in the 70's instead of the 80's this morning!
      Who knew droids could be so sweet??? :)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:31 AM

    That heat dome is nasty. Sure hope it does not come this way. What is a burpee workout? Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a cross between a push up, jump, and sort of a jumping jack all at once. There is a joke that no one ever likes burpees, but I sort of do, they are challenging. Everyone can modify these from the strict burpees to something else.
      This week I had to modify so many things, but I still participated and moved my body. Movement is the key for me.

      Delete
  3. I enjoy your pictorial stories. The temperature is lower but not that dreaded humidity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think these are some of my favorite picture stories! I could care less that people think we are childish. I have a doll in my living room who I dress for various occasions. And she has "accessories" and gets into adventures. I do see people look sideways at me. Oh, those people with bored lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you have a lovely doll house that you decorate! Great play!

      Delete
  5. You really do have a very active imagination. Years back I had fun with Flat Stanley, but it wasn't so much him I blogged about but the places he went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to credit that to my father, as he had a wonderful imagination that went rather ... unappreciated. Thank you!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.