Thursday, August 17, 2023

Evening Rides with Sunshine

Sunshine, after we came out of the woods. Riding the woods is so much nicer than riding the fields and back roads. 
No traffic. No surprise coyotes running in front of you. No gaggles of turkeys or deer leaping out of fields of corn.

It seems these girls are happier in rough terrain with deep woods surrounding them. Of course, the footing can be difficult, there are logs, rocks, and dry washes to navigate so it requires most of their brain cells.



Yes, she wears a trammel. I could probably get by with a snaffle these days however this is what she has worn since her first run-away with me 21 years ago.

She wore a snaffle at 4 yrs old. Did you know that because a mule has a wide set of eyes, that you can pull their head to your knee and they can still canter in a line of their choosing? 

The second time I tried a 'one rein stop', her head was pulled to my knee and she galloped through trees and jumped a creek. I survived the run off by steering her with all my strength into a brier patch. We got scratched up but survived.

We put this bit on her and it can be very gentle with gentle hands. I set her up for another run away. We rode up the gravel road and when one of the neighbor's came by with her tractor, Sunshine tensed and then bolted. I let her bolt 3 steps and then lifted the reins so the bar would touch her nose.

She screeched to a stop. Mules love their noses and don't like pressure on that spot.

In the following 21 years of riding, she has never offered to bolt. She will spin at crazy spooky Zombie Deer that spring out of the corn field, or aggressive dogs. But she no longer takes me on a wild and crazy ride.

With that said, our wood rides are so relaxing. We drop down steep hills and negotiate old trails and deer trails. She knows the way since she helps me maintain the trail. Here is a choppy, crappy video of our last ride. I'm not good at holding a cell phone to try and capture video. Usually I don't even try.

I have a pocket camera which I normally take.

This is our last deep ravine to cross to go back home. I make a huge circle [about a mile loop] through the neighbor's woods. 

The mules wear breast collars and either cruppers or britchens which keep the saddles from sliding around in this steep stuff.


There is a 3 mile loop, but I haven't done it lately because I don't like going that far off by myself. I will see if my neighbor would like to do it with me one of these days if he has the time. [He was raised on a Quarter horse farm]

Sorry for all the creaking and whatnot. But I like that noise! She also wears a bell if you can hear it.

The first part is a long descent on a very steep hillside, so she tippy toes down the trail. Again, forgive my crappy video, but there it is.
1:34 seconds....





 

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you two girls had a great time in your walk in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty mule. I like how the tips of her mane are a lighter colour.
    I have never seen or heard of a trammel bit before. How perfect that it worked and was never needed again.
    Bushwacking is the best kind of riding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her mother had a flaxen mane, I almost wish she did too! She like the woods better than the fields for some reason.

      Delete
  3. I love the way her ears are always moving:) Yes I could hear her bell and like you the creaking is a good sound:) Nice ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the bell was someone else's idea so many years ago but I've found it to be soothing to her and me. Creak creak! LOL!

      Delete
  4. I love those ears! I did not know that about mules. That would have terrified me. She's very good with the rough terrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is the only mule that ever pulled that trick. Most will stop but apparently she had it in her mind back then that she had somewhere else to go.
      Thanks, she prefers the rough stuff, more to keep her mind occupied? That is my theory at least.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.