Sunday, August 13, 2023

The Barbie Movie

 Well I love how this movie has caused so much angst with some politicians. For what? Culture wars?


I'm not going to go into any of that. The movie was fun and thought provoking and a real look at ourselves as humans. The world is not perfect, we are not perfect even if we want to be. 

The most telling scene is with the old lady at the bus stop. Barbie turns to her and says, "You're beautiful!"

The older woman turns to Barbie and breaks into a great smile and replies, "I AM beautiful!"

The scene is short and touching at the same time. How many 91 year old people ever get that sort of compliment? 

I am me. I am beautiful but not to Barbie Doll standards. 
I may have wrinkles [yes so many!] but they belong to me. What is even better? There isn't anyone else quite like me.

Too often we judge others just by looks? 

Gloria's monologue got to me. When I got home I had to look it up and reread what I'd heard. I will leave it at that.

My favorite character was Weird Barbie. I would have preferred a Weird Barbie to the perfect one I had. The definition of a Weird Barbie is one that has experienced overzealous play. She definitely fit the bill.

I had one Barbie as a kid. A friend of my parents gave one to my sister and I. We did terrible things to our Barbies and often they'd end up in the arms of our full sized G.I. Joes.

Years later, Barbies forgotten, my neighbor's boy decided to take one of his Barbies and create a likeness of me.

They called her Val-Barbie. I suppose a version of Weird Barbie.

After I admired and had a lot of fun with Val-Barbie, along came Rich-Ken.

What can I say?



These for sure are originals!

And they still are around today.



I still find them hanging out together.

I guess I can say I have a one of a kind Weird Barbie and a one of a kind Weird Ken!

Excuse me while I go out to play with my dolls...


See you later!

11 comments:

  1. I went to the Barbie movie with my two daughters and two granddaughters. I thought it was hilarious, meaningful in a good way, but brought a tear to my eye when she found Ruth. I found nothing more objectionable than any tv commercial I am unfortunate to witness. My oldest daughter refuses to believe that she requested growing up Skipper for Christmas one year. My younger daughter remembered all the outfits. My 13 year old granddaughter really enjoyed Gloria's speech and my 7 year old granddaughter is dreaming of living in a Barbie Dreamhouse someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The speech basically refers to all that is wrong with society and the belief that women have to be perfect.
      Finding and speaking with Ruth was epic!

      Delete
  2. I had to look up the monologue...personally I didn't like it and I refuse to be that way. I probably won't see the movie. I had a friend that was younger than me that had Barbies I did not...I had a baseball glove and a bat:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! We must be sisters! I was a confirmed Tom Boy and preferred Trolls and GI Joe's over Barbies. I asked for a baseball bat, glove, and ball on my 16th birthday.
      The movie isn't for everyone, but I did enjoy it.
      That monologue does speak to so much that is wrong with female perceptions...

      Let's play ball!

      :)

      Delete
  3. I had Barbie, her little sister whose name escapes me and Ken. The dream house and the convertible. I a year I was too old for it, but all the girls in the neighborhood my age had them. I'll look up the monologue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I read it and it sums it up well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many women feel pushed and pulled just like her statement is. I'm glad I settled on just being myself.
      I think most women eventually get to that point too.

      Delete
  5. I saw the preview and I bet it was a good show. I loved the line "look my feet are now flat."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that too! So many laughs in the theatre when she said that!

      Delete
  6. Barbie movie is not for me, but it has had positive reviews. Glad you enjoyed it.

    I played Barbie's (and with a friends Gi Joe, she liked him way better then Ken lol) and both my girls played with them. I still have the dolls that were not completely destroyed stuffed in a tote. I'll never forget when my naughty oldest butchered malibu barbie's hair. They are in well-loved shape.

    With that said, my favorite childhood toy/s were my mini ceramic animal collection. Mostly families. Long story. I also have what is left of them. They come out around the holidays :)

    The Barbie culture is what you make of it. Look at what your neighbor's friend created. Very sweet he made you a Val-Barbie!! Complete with skunk hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Barbie's were pretty much tossed aside. The G I Joes were more posable and more fun.
      I bet my mom would have died if we cut off their hair. We often considered putting the GI Joe clothes on them. LOL, those stupid feet!

      Yep my neighbor and her boy were very creative and I love those dolls! Mom bought us Thumbulena dolls. We hung them in the apple tree. We took their cribs and clothes for our stuffed animals. Mom was not impressed.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.