Saturday, August 26, 2023

A little more fun with Droids

Play on the cheap. A week or so ago I made another diorama out of some CPAP trash and used it for my Legos which are tiny. I have a 4" droid made by Kenner that I thought would be fun to make a diorama for also.

What better time to do it when it is 100+ degrees out? 
I gathered a chunk of cardboard that wrapped around some meds in a box and spray painted it slightly, then I glued a hose washer, bottle cap, hair tie, and bit and pieces of random things together. I made a box of of cardboard and pipes out of straws. The mesh in front is from a potato bag that was destined for the trash.
The base was the top of a cardboard box and then I just ripped pieces to make them ragged looking.


As it is presented here on the table, it really doesn't look like much. So I closed the curtains in a way to let in light as I wanted it ....


and took some shots...

this was the result.


I think the process of 'creating' the scene was most of the fun. I just went at it, adding bits and pieces and shading it with colors. I wanted a textured background but not so textured as to take away what was happening in the photo.

One of the things I like about this method is that fact that it is simple and it doesn't have to be Perfect to give one a sense of mood. The other thing that tickled me is that it cost nothing as I had all the items on hand in the trash pile. 

What is also very important here is paying attention to the depth of focus. The items behind the droid and slightly in front shouldn't be in clear focus unless the intent is on highlighting those items.

I lucked out with good light simply by moving curtains. No magic there! The photo was shot for highlight drama. That means it was exposed to bring out the lighter areas and leave the other areas a bit dark.

Of course Peazy can't do all of her work alone. She needs to have her deliveries....


NED-B apparently has volunteered to help.


And there is generally some time during the day for tea...


Even Droids get a break. 

Now if I can get a Droid to do my cooking. 


The weather is finally breaking so I leave my droids and toys and head outside to chase insects and find hiking adventures.

Thank goodness! Oh wait, the Droids will probably come along....

8 comments:

  1. Very cool set up you have there. You need some stop motion video and start making some movies! Happy Hiking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that many years ago with Legos and my kids. Sounds like a project for a very cold winter days....zzzz...

      Delete
  2. Great stuff! It was cooler here today but the afternoon warmed up a bit after the sun came out. You can do lots of stuff with old recycled pieces! I need a droid to cook for me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding, a droid to cook would be amazing!

      Delete
  3. That is a great backdrop & scale for your droids. Enjoy the cooler weather. We have noticed an increase of dragonflies darting around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had to make a larger backdrop for those droids as they are 4 inches compared to tiny Legos!
      We have seen a lot of those dragon flies!

      Delete
  4. Very creative! It has cooled for a couple of days, very welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding, it was great today! I finished a fencing project I wanted to do for a while. However the ground was SO hard for pounding posts!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.