Saturday, August 05, 2023

Driveway, Gravel, Jobs and Heat

It has been ... well, rather warm and humid and since I like cool to cold weather... you guessed it. I haven't been up to much.


I've walked out in the evenings to my neighbor's 
cropland on the ridge
to watch the evening activities.
The deer are ferocious on crops
this year. The surrounding forest
has a lack of undergrowth due to 
the severe dry conditions.

A few of my neighbors who have orchard 
trees are noting that the deer are 
hard on their trees.

The photo below has two does and beyond 
them, one of two Folsom churches.




I took a break with Olive and Aiden on Tuesday. We went on a short hike and since it was so hot, I took them down to the 'beach' next to Bridge 8.

The Kickapoo River is low and it made for a perfect spot to let Aiden loose and let him play!



The rock formation just across from the 'beach'.




Below? The driveway!
The culverts are operational again.

Both neighbor Justin and I will be seeding the waterways and 
ditches to hold the dirt in place.


A job very well done by Frank.




I offered Frank a deal in mostly cash for this large job.  

When I asked for my winter plowing bill he just smiled and said, "Oh gosh, just forget that! Besides, you hired me for this big job and its close to home for me. And you got me extra work where I didn't even have to move my equipment."

Frank doing a job at the neighbor's...




My long range plan from last year worked as expected. I know from experience that Frank is a hard working fellow. He raises cattle, he raises crops, he also does excavating and bulldozer work. He must have gotten all the GO juice in his family. His brothers are nothing like him.

Others told me I should have shopped around and maybe gotten lower bids. True, but now I have a fellow that dealt with all our driveway issues and rebuilt it himself. And he will continue to plow for us in the winter.

He said it was a winning situation for him and I feel the same way.

It will be a very long time before I have to deal with the driveway again. Well, at least I hope so!

One more Big Job taken off my list of things to get done!


7 comments:

  1. Your driveway looks fantastic. I think you did good with Frank. It's been a miserable summer, it's still hot and humid today. Rain is in the forecast. I'll believe when I see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding on the rain. I may spread seed and hay chaff this evening since we have an 80% chance of rain tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. What a relief to have the driveway redone! I think you are smart for hiring the guy who plows it. An extra incentive to do it right. That was really nice for him to forgive last season's plow bill. Ensures a happy repeat customer. Smart man.

    Cute pic of your mini neighbor cooling off in KVR waters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He refused $ about 20 years ago when he plowed for us while Rich was in the hospital. I didn't expect him to waive off last winter's bill though.
      Yes, I felt since he will plow for us, he was the right choice for rehabbing it.
      Thanks, the KVR visit was so much fun and us ladies needed Aiden's laughter.

      Delete
  3. What a great guy! And what a fabulous job on the driveway. Worth every penny for both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The driveway looks great! Since your repair guy is also the snow removal guy he will take extra care of your road...he has pride in his work:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Driveways are a thing of the past in our area. We use to pick up kids on the bus and they had to walk them to get to the bus. A partnership with the guy is a win win situation.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.