Friday, May 12, 2023

Foodie? Catch up...


Spring calls for wild food. I skipped the wild ramps this year, Rich doesn't like onions that much and I have a tiny plot of chives out the back door that I can use anyway.

However, he had a taste for Morels. I hadn't been able to find any until yesterday. I found Morels and I found several places that had Oyster Mushrooms. I leave enough oysters alone so they will spore out and create more on the same log or tree.



The Morels were not huge, but I will cook them up for hubby. It is his favorite. 

I thought I'd try some Pheasant Backs too since they are so plentiful.  They can be found mainly on box elders that are dying. I read up on when to pick them and how to process them.
 




I decided to just try a few and see how they tasted.


Scrap off the spores with a spoon. And it surprisingly smells 
like
cucumber!
Then peel off the brown top...




Chop into thin slices...


One recipe called for white wine and butter. I went with another that called for dipping them in eggs and flour/seasons, then frying. 
I can fry or sauté pretty good aside from boiling water that is...


They were okay. After all, what doesn't taste good fried in butter? Not as good as Morels or Oysters though.

Meanwhile there is mowing, fencing, grooming, to do.

The toilet took a dump and died. I was impressed by the same day service from 608 Plumbing. The price was?  Well. You pay a good price for a plumber. Joe was super nice and said if we wanted him to adjust the flush, just let him know. 
I quipped, as long as the s--t goes down, I don't care about the flush!

The farrier[s] were here too. They are a father son team. All mules behaved and Lil' Richard was probably the hardest for them to do since he is only 31" tall.
One of his jobs is to keep the hill in front of the machine shed trimmed.


We had some rain overnight so I'll be out foraging again for Morels and perhaps dig up some parsnip for fresh veggies.

I did manage a trip to the Kickapoo Valley Reserve to knock off another trail section and do some exploring. More about that when I get time.

Hectic Week! I'm looking forward to 2 quiet days! Next week the Mini Split will be installed!


20 seconds of Orioles



11 comments:

  1. Good finds with the Mushrooms...my husband likes mushrooms but I get his at the store! I would probably pick the wrong ones! Busy days:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, picking the wild stuff is not for everyone! I know folks that got sick from getting the wrong ones!

      At least my Morel coach has always helped me until a few years ago.

      Delete
  2. Mmmmm morels! My favorite too.
    They like burned out areas. Wherever there is a forest fire, they seem to be found in great quantities.
    Puff balls are another edible mushroom that is tasteless unless it is fried in butter.
    Love the orioles, such a colorful bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice. Morels on this side of the Mississippi prefer elms, apple trees, some ash, and sometimes pine trees that are losing their bark.
      I heard about the ones in the west that can be found after a forest fire! Wow!
      I've had puffballs too, but rarely find them bright white!

      Delete
  3. Morels are protected here. I know a place where they grow, but it's a protected wilderness area. So I just admire. I know a bit about fungi and lichen, but haven't tested my knowledge by eating any finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hope that in parks and areas that don't have a lot of woodland that fungi would be protected as they help the trees survive.
      I am not one that wipes out any area that I find. Always, always, leave some behind.
      I live in area surrounded by about 1,000 acres of forest that rarely sees humans.

      Delete
  4. Your mushrooms would make Mark happy. I was going to mow today. Then it rained.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it rained all day here too! But it was a nice rain.

      Delete
  5. You have been a busy lady! I am a sissy when it comes to mushrooms. I understand there are several varieties hidden around the rural church I attend. A select group of people (obviously the ones who maintain the grounds) know where they are , what they are and what is safe to eat. I agree, what doesn't taste better fried in butter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't know what you are picking, it is best to not touch them! I was terrified for years, but had a good coach and other good people to take me out and forage for food.

      Delete
  6. You have really gotten into gathering wild eats, and cooking too! Even if you don't fancy yourself a cook. Your 'shrooms look yummy. Fun to have different kinds to compare flavors. Do you have a favorite?

    Always good to get the trimming done. Like everything, farrier charges have really gone up. They are in high demand around here, and worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.