Sunday, May 21, 2023

Could I, should I, I did.

I always liked to run... 


In the 1960's.



In college 1976. Photos by my father.
My mom and dad came to surprise me in a meet at Southern Illinois University at a college conference track meet.



This photo was sometime in 1980 after a 5 or 10k run. I am holding my son Eddie. I was smiling, I'd done what is called a PR or personal record and just was so tickled. My ex husband Larry took this shot.


 


In 1986 I tried a half marathon. I mean how hard could it be after doing 6.2 and 3.1 mile runs...right?

It was brutal. It was hot, I was tired, and I hated the last 4 miles. But I came across the finish line strong and then sat in the grass and vowed never to run that distance again unless it was a life or death matter.


I stopped running by the time I reached about 30. I was tired of always training and trying to get a trophy or better my time. It wasn't fun anymore.


I turned to distance bicycling and then to distance equine riding.

Sunday morning brought me back full circle to another 5k. It was the new Syttende Mai Event in Westby and a few of the gym members along with other friends decided to go ahead and do the fun run/walk 5k.
It was fun. It was challenging. 
I had no expectations and enjoyed myself. I ran with a young girl who is the daughter of a friend of mine for a while and encouraged her when she had a side stitch. 
The best part? Was just doing it.

I didn't even really care where I placed or what the end time was. 
Many people don't like jogging/running/ or as I was doing ~ pacing myself. But I had time to look deep into myself and see what I was still made of. 
My footfalls were nearly silent. 

I was 'meditation' in motion.

If that makes sense.

There was nothing on my mind but cadence and breathing and how it came together so nicely.

Maybe I'll do it again. 

No photos, no one there was taking pictures of me which was fine. In fact, I didn't have my cell phone with me nor do I have a fitbit or a watch. It was just me and the distance. But I did get a t shirt!


6 comments:

  1. Wow, Val! It's no wonder you are in great shape. I tried jogging in the '70s, not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it at college because I was bored and so my roomie and I ran around the campus, then we tried out for Cross Country...which I'd never heard of. Then racing became my thing for a long long time.

      Delete
  2. How fun for you to get back to the feels that only running offers!! You are fortunate that you still can run. I enjoyed the archive photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've run and run since I was a little kid. We often ran or biked to the lake as that was our only transportation as kids. The lake was a mile and a half away.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.