Saturday, May 13, 2023

Exploring...


 


The photos above are some of what is left from the farms that used to exist on the Kickapoo Valley Reserve. In some dry runs you find car parts, tractor parts and things that the previous farmers tossed out on their farms. I have yet to find an old vehicle that still has an engine in it. I imagine recycling wasn't a thing in the 1960's and early 1970's.
149 farms were purchased to make way for a flood control project. What is not mentioned are the farms that were condemned for the project. I've heard from those whose families who were left with almost nothing for their land and homes. They are quite bitter still. The flood control project was halted in 1973.

That said, Kickapoo Valley Reserve has become a popular place for hiking, bicycling [no E-bikes allowed], trout fishing, canoeing, kayaking, and equine riding. 

In a way, it has actually benefitted the region more than the flood control project would have done. It took time, but local businesses are flourishing with the draw of the Reserve and Wildcat Mountain State Park not far away.

My reason for going was twofold. I needed some 'quiet' mental time, I wanted to look for Morels, and I had one more set of steep valleys to explore before the undergrowth got too thick.

I knocked off the Mule Trail Section 15 while I was at it. The Mule Trail joins Mule Camp also known as camp J [Mule Camp to the old timers] to old 131. From old 131 you can head off north, south or west towards Little Canada and the Ice Cave Trail.
I wanted to stay on the east side of the river. 
So I searched along the south side of the valley and enjoyed meandering along a stream that flowed into the Kickapoo.

The land varies. Pines dotted a section of the hillside, no doubt planted for harvest at some point by the original owners of the land.


The stream had a variety of trees in it. It was tangled with fallen trees and very wet.



I eventually came to this place of rocks and boulders. The north side of the valley was full of river birches and fallen boulders. 



Then I started the climb to the top.


...
I feel my boots
trying to leave the ground
I feel my heart
pumping hard.
I want to think
again of dangerous
and 
noble things.
I want to be 
frivolous and frolicsome.
I want to be improbable beautiful
and
afraid of 
nothing,
as though
I had
wings.

~Mary Oliver

I sat here and rested. It was a great place to watch the cliff swallows flying low over the wet lands and the river.


Views from the bluff.

Watching swallows.

I climbed back down and took a shot from the base of the bluff. I was standing in a wetland.
The red arrow points to where I think the 'hole in the rock is'. I guess I may have to get wet to actually walk up to it!


The bottom of the bluff where I was sitting and had lunch.


The rest of the hike was just not very interesting. I mean it was...but not like the feeling of sitting on the bluff eating an apple and having an orange.

I drove home feeling complete once again and vowing to go back to watch the river flow and the swallows fly.


10 comments:

  1. What a lovely hike! Complete with a "room with a view"!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A view I will go back for time and time again!

      Delete
  2. We had a large farming community in our area who planted crops one spring before World War 1, got letters early summer saying the government was taking their land for defense purposes, paid them nothing for their homes, property and crops in the ground and made them all leave before harvest. Most were uneducated generations of farmers who had no job skills. This was a story I learned at a library lunch bag local history lunch and suddenly was able to put several dots together about our region. Cruelty abounds. Good Ole Days? Pshaw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You live in a magnificent wilderness. It suits you well. I wouldn't care for the trek getting there but I would love to sit on the bluff and eat lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:56 PM

    I should be so lucky to walk like you do.... Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is part of where I live. When I moved here, I came from flat lands and had to adjust. Now the hills and valleys are natural to me.

      Delete
  5. That sounds like the accursed Tocks Island Dam project about that time in Northern NJ. A beautiful valley full of homes the families had built and lived in for generations was targeted, to be flooded for a reservoir.

    Many families were uprooted, the community shattered, and public opposition became so strident that in the end the feds canceled the plan. But the damage was done. Families couldn't return.

    It became a nonprofit craft center, Peters Valley, using the homes as workshops and dorms for adult students, weekly and weekend workshops, taught by name people. I attended a couple, wonderful. But then I found out the history, and I never went back. It was too much like profiting from cruelty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you as they used eminent domain to clear the farms and when the project didn't happen because of environmental concerns, the land did not go back to those who lost their farms.
      However, the land does flood easily. Down river, the towns are figuring that out and moving their businesses and homes.
      The end result is that rare plants and even more rare bluffs and incredible landscape has been saved from the Government's bright ideas.
      It is now here for all to enjoy with a bittersweet twist.

      Delete
  6. Good to get re energized for the week!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.