Friday, May 19, 2023

Seeding Frenzy

It is time for the annual planting frenzy.

This is part of the porch edge.
To those who like things in an orderly way, my gardening skills will offend.

The Ajuga aka Bugleweed, once covered most of this area. However, a winter with hardly any snow a couple of years ago demolished most of them. The rabbits, moles, and voles didn't help either. Last year I planted Nasturtiums in the bare spots.
The Nasturtiums are going to be back this year on the edges while  Forget Me Nots will be in the bare spots right next to the porch.

The Forget Me Nots aren't tall and won't overshadow the Ajuga allowing them to once again fill in the bare areas.




This is were the oriole and the hummingbird feeders are. We can eat our meals and watch the antics right outside the window.
Nasturtiums will come up through the mulch under the feeders to add color.


Hubby asked me why I didn't make straight borders. I replied
"Nature doesn't make her borders straight."
I may expand this a little next year depending on my moods...

I had to put up a temporary 'fence' made out of baling twine and spikes to keep Charlie out of the bare spots. He loves laying in the dirt in between plants.
He is staying out of the area now that I added mulch.






When he wants to stay outside and just observe the yard, he is attached to a boat anchor by a long light cable.

He can lay in the sunlight or chose to be on the bench in the porch. That is his outdoor furry pad. He dragged his blanket out on the porch so I tossed it on the bench.
This area is his preferred way of spending the warm months.


The east side is waiting patiently for the zinnias and 4 o'clock seeds to be dropped into the soil.


The west side where the pallet garden was last year, will get a mix of all sorts of seeds. We'll see what happens there. I had to wait until after the mini split is installed to do any more work.


I have a couple of other spots that I'm going to put wildflowers and other seeds in. This year, I will have to be patient for the annuals to color the area. I'm good with that.

Sunflowers, cosmos, and even [fingers crossed] some morning glories.

In the mule paddock near the house, I'm going to experiment with some sweet corn and squash. When the plants are done, I'll take down the single hot wire and let the critters clean 'the garden'. I don't know if it will work out well, but I am willing to try.

I've transplanted bee balm into three different places. I hope all the spots bring in the birds and hummingbird moths.

For giggles, I even planted sunflowers in one of the old cattle feeders. That should be interesting to say the least.

I only have to grab a couple of tomato plants to put in my rather unusual 'found' planters. More about them at another time.

Seed On!

And enjoy...




4 comments:

  1. You are so energetic. I have started to plant saved seeds in a couple of places. I need to buy plants for pots but I am not up to the hassle of going to get them yet. I did plant a few sunflower seeds willy nilly. I have some purple hyacinth seeds planted. It will be great to watch it all grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:10 PM

    You look very organized with your plantings. Nice variety! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your gardens look very orderly to me. Love your nature border reply! Very true. Charlie is too cute dragging his blankee outside for a snooze <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was Mr. Morris's blanket, but Charlie is very attached to it. He will pull or drag to places he wishes to rest at! Very funny!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.