Saturday, May 06, 2023

Tall tails of Trails

Trail Challenge 2023 is coming along nicely. Of course a lot of my hiking is with Charlie or totally solo. 

My buddy Bill is dealing with asthma issues as well as honey-do issues. Olive has Spring Track Meets and she is coaching 5 evenings a week so she pulls double and triple duty, working full time, being a mom and a coach. However, she is enjoying it which truly matters.

I took Charlie with me to do the south end of the Hay Valley Trail which I did last summer. Time Out ~ If you want to review it...

I thought it would be neat to see the same trail in the springtime.

I brought along my infrared camera of course. I can't resist viewing the world in a different light.
These were taken with a 720nm filter.


Bridge 10 with traffic


Kickappo River


Kickapoo Backwaters


The North end of Hay Valley offers some neat places to note. One of the harder places to cross is what I dubbed 'The Swamp'. Last year it was wet, mucky, but doable by walking on logs and clumps of grass. It was rather shaded when I did it, but still noteworthy. A walking stick would have been good for some extra balance, but I'm terrible at walking with one. 
I generally set it down and have to go back for it.

Anyway. Spring brought a different view to The Swamp.
It was a bit more wet but more trees had fallen down. Over the years, hikers have place pieces of wood in strategic spots to use while crossing this spot.


All the plants that are in this photo below are Skunk Cabbage plants leafing out. The bright greens of fresh leaves and sunlight were amazing. 


Skunk Cabbage:

The next attraction was the Twin Caves. I don't know if anyone else makes up the names like I do, but it helps me remember exactly where these neat spots are.
I'd seen a hint of a rock shelter when I went through here last year. I wanted to see it in the spring before the undergrowth hid everything.
I was not disappointed as I found a trail that went right between them.


Each 'cave' or rock shelter was at least 6 or more feet tall inside. I didn't have time to hike down into them. I'll have to do that at another time. Perhaps in the winter when the water flows over the rock and forms ice walls.



The forest floor was littered with Virginia Pinks blazing away. We walked the trail rather slowly. I wanted to look at it all.


Most of the trail is part of the original trail system that existed before Kickapoo Valley Reserve took over from the Core of Engineers. Some of the trail has been re-routed to stay out of the steep gorges.


I don't find that trail extremely difficult, but this can be a long hike if you have to go back to where you started from. It was just under 5 miles when I hiked along Highway 131 to get back to where I parked.

Otherwise the distance from bridge 10 and Hay Valley to Bailout Trail is only a bit over 3.5 miles.

It took Charlie and I 2 hours and 40 minutes which included stopping often to look at things which included a trailside chat with a couple of older folks that were out hiking.

The next time I visit this trail, it may be during the fall or winter. Then I can say I've seen it in every season.




Sections 38 and 39 have been knocked off....




10 comments:

  1. Oh and some Wild Ginger too! Charlie is awesome hiking five miles I bet he made more miles than that with the back and forth that dogs do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I carried Charlie part of the way along the highway as the blacktop seems to make him hot. But he is still quite the little trooper!

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've ever seen skunk cabbage. This looks like a good hike for you two wanders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Sandra, then I am happy to show you them in photos! By midsummer they just blend in with the rest of the plants. But I think they are pretty bizarre and cool.

      Delete
  3. I make up names of places on our property. Drives Brad nuts. He wants me to make signs, so he knows what area I am talking about. I think he should just learn the names ;) Much easier to answer the question "where did you see that".

    Twin caves is a great and fitting name! Have you ever run into wild life entering a cave?

    Charlies face lol. Glad you two adventurers had such a nice hike exploring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie looks like he is exasperated. I was setting up the gal Legos on the trail and talking to myself when I looked up and saw him with that face!

      No wild critters in these rock shelter--caves. They would keep an animal dry during a rainstorm but I don't think it would be a good home for critters.
      Yeah on the name thing. Drives Rich NUTS!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It is. We tried to keep this area a secret, but it is leaking out...

      Delete
  5. Finding any mushrooms on your hikes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just Pheasant backs that are just starting. I'm hoping to gather some and try them in the next two days.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.