Wednesday, May 03, 2023

Everything Everywhere and All At Once!

 



I think Spring gets me going just like Fall does. I feel like I am missing something out in the woods...except in the opposite direction.

I want to be digging in the flower garden and creating beauty when all sorts of activity is also happening out there...in the woods, in the pastures...

Everything Everywhere and All At Once!

I save part of a day to take a walk. I have to or I'd go crazy. After chores, I generally walk up to get yesterday's mail through the neighbor's woods.

These scrubby trees have reddish green leaves opening up. I have no idea what they are but with the morning light shining through the leaves...
well, it was beautiful and worth stopping to look at.



I'm afraid that we got distracted by the buds on the trees and took the long way around to the mailbox.
I noticed that the tiny fruit tree near the road was going to flower. There are two of these trees in one place. They have evil thorns that rip and tear. No wonder no creature has eaten them in the past 20 some years. 
They have never gotten large and I really have no idea what they are.


Dogwoods near the mailbox! We finally made it there! I riot of colors is coming quickly. Can I see it all at once?



Garlic mustard. It is now everywhere. However, it has good flavor so I picked some to use in my salad for supper.


After I made lunch and arranged for a friend to pick up our 4 wheeler and give it an oil change, I headed back out to the woods. Rumor had it that someone in our part of Wisconsin had found some grey morel mushrooms.
That is my go-to excuse to get out in the woods in the spring. 
Below is one of our patches of Wild Ramps. It is huge.

There is an issue with people now going out to find them and digging these plants up and selling them. It takes years for these plants to grow. I take a few each year to eat fresh and a few to dehydrate.


I leave the rest because they are so beautiful to see in the Spring. They do flower and spread seeds which take quite a while to grow into an edible Wild Ramp.
In the photo below, they are mixed in with Mayapples and Virginia Spring Beauties.


Spring is a wonderland after months of winter.


Carpets of Spring Beauties


Woodland Lilies --
Not Lily of the Valley


Ferns of all kinds poking up...






As Charlie and I were headed home from the back part of our property, a Barred Owl flew over us and landed in a tree.
I sat down and grabbed Charlie to stick him in my lap. I suppose he could be the right size for an Owl to think of as dinner for Owlets.


We watched the owl for quite a while.

It struck me then that I'd seen this owl [or maybe one just like it] in this area last year while hunting morel mushrooms. Charlie hadn't been with me then, but I did watch the owl for quite a while. The date was March 15th of last year.

Shot from last year....

I guess I should have remembered. Charlie seems to have a good sense of when to stay close. When he hears large hawks or the twitter of an eagle, he usually scoots right between my feet.

Spring is coming on hard. We'll have warmer temps and some nice rain to get things moving along.

Meanwhile, I'm outta here to watch the forest come alive...

9 comments:

  1. What fun spotting an owl! I am glad Charlie is wise and knows when to head for (your) safety. Spring certainly does happen all at once, or maybe it just feels that way. It passes by so quickly. Enjoy watching the woods come alive!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beauty you have! I just read that for every ten ramps you find, you can cut one but please leave 9. Keep Charlie safe! It is a beautiful bird, but nature is nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since these are on our land, I sort of keep an eye on them. I think they are quite beautiful and generally only take a few each year just to dehydrate them for soups in the winter.

      Delete
  3. You have Spring busting out all over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is such a relief that the snow is gone and the spring air is out there. Your things are bursting open and leaves will be on all the trees again. I hope you find the mushrooms. I use to like hunting for them as a kid on our family farm in the timber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Living in an area with a lot of wild woods surely does help.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous6:44 PM

    You sure take advantage of your days! Still cold and wet here....may warm up on Friday. Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so much 'wild' land near me that I do enjoy exploring, thank you!

      Delete
  6. Ah spring! The season of hope.
    We don't have any wild land nearby as we are plunk in the middle of farm land so I appreciate all your woodsy finds!
    Barred owls are the coolest. They seem to be less afraid to spend time in human presence.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.