Friday, December 09, 2022

Taking a Breath

 After a really really Grumpy Week [I was the Grump], I decided to take off and go hiking at my favorite place. The Kickapoo Valley Reserve.

I looked at the weather and decided to get a hike in at the Reserve because today [Friday] would not be a good day. We are having a snow and ice storm -- the roads are ice under the snow so it looks like a good day to cancel my eye doc appointment and reschedule.

I wanted to find the little ice cave again. I knew other ice flows would be more impressive, but I wanted to explore the bluff bottoms next to the river. The river is down and the ground below the bluffs are frozen so it seemed like a perfect opportunity.

I took my Infrared Camera. For those who don't understand what infrared does, it sees the light in different wavelengths depending on the filter used on the camera. It's complicated but the results are pretty fascinating.

Chlorophyll reflects light and so things that still are green and living show up in different colors. The light spectrum may be how other creatures can see the world.

Little iced pond not in IR.


Same pond with IRChrome filter which produces reddish foliage.



The bluffs, seen in IRChrome:



The red shows mosses and grasses against the rocks and dead plant matter.

This filter does show a red tint for foliage and blue for water and sky. The sun was shining brightly on the left of the shot below and so it basically blew out the whites.


In an odd shot I risked shooting towards the light and got another different look. Before special processing some of these photos look absolutely abysmal.


I swapped over to the 665nm filter and found one decent shot I could live with.


An 'unprocessed' shot using the 665nm filter:


Processed:


The trees above, straight out of camera 

and processed


And at last, after two hours of wandering and looking at rocks, moss, skies, and the river, I ended up at the little ice cave. It isn't the best or biggest one, just a personal favorite of mine.

A 'selfie' with my tiny pocket camera on a wrap around tripod.


By the time I got back to where I'd parked, I felt refreshed and calm. I was back in my happy place and it seems that I got rid of Ms. Grumpy.


9 comments:

  1. It is easy to get grumpy this time of year. I like how you de-grump/ed! Today's weather should add to the wonder of your fav ice cave. Smart to skip traveling through inclement weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ended up shoveling and the neighbor opened up a tiny path up the hill. Then the plow guy came last night to check on us and cleaned up and widened everything.
      He is a neighbor too from about one mile straight west through the woods. Super nice guy.
      Today looks kind of foggy!

      Delete
  2. You knew exactly what was needed and did it. Good for you. Interesting discussion about photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Infrared is wonderful but not popular because it takes a lot of extra work to end up with a neat photo at the end.

      Delete
  3. I don't understand any of that which shared but I do like the results of the special filters. You are getting some great photo. I get so grumpy that I won't admit that I am. Hang it there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww. Infrared is what certain cameras use to pick up heat sources or use 'night' vision. This is just a different version of that. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. As usual, you have some fantastic photos! The infrared is an interesting feature and one I wasn't aware of before you. I'm glad you got out and got rid of Ms Grumpy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually like the "trees above" shot best straight out of the camera.
    When I get grumpy I go hug my horses. Or cuddle my fat cats. One can't be grumpy around them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good that you left Mrs Grumpy at the Ice Cave:)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.