Saturday, December 24, 2022

Christmas Eve

I usually write something fun and witty around Christmas time. There is the story about how I was convinced by Grandma Pearl that all animals talk at the stroke of midnight on Christmas Eve.

I'm not going to be a Debbie Downer so here is some of the action we've had at the bird feeders that past few days while we've endured the Artic Blast and subsequent winds. 
Thankfully, we are in the woods and in a hollow. While doing chores I could hear the winds roaring on the ridge.

Olive texted me to say that the cold and the wind chills were so intense that one of her sliding glass doors cracked. Can you imagine that?

Doing chores...Insulated pants, layers, coveralls, and an insulated flannel over the coveralls. Mask, fur hat, goggles and -- no glasses to fog up --. The wind chills were ... well -39? Let's just say that I knew bare skin would frostbite in less than a few minutes outside.


I did walk to the ridge to get the mail after chores as there were some meds for Rich that were delivered.

I walked up along the woods to watch the winds gust and blow snow across our road. My neighbor Olive, lives on that corner on the ridge and it is Wide Open. She told me it sounded like a freight train was idling outside her house. I didn't try to take pretty pictures, just a quick one of the road.


I was protected from the fierce winds by the woods but when I looked east across the ridge, I could see a haze. It was blowing snow that looked like it was a fog!


Those are not my tracks. Those are tracks of a deer.

We spent the day indoors of course and the birds were very active. I am glad that I ignored Rich telling me that feeding the birds was a waste of money. He often watches them and discusses what they are doing at the feeders and in the trees around us.

Enjoy the birds, we did!







It's Christmas Eve so I'll be making a special meal for us and we will open Charlie's present and Rich's gift.

Rich's daughter came Tuesday with her hubby and our grandson. She spent the day cooking her father's favorite meal and we had a really great day.
It was a great surprise and it made Rich smile all day and into the next when he got to eat Prime Rib and all the fixin's as left overs!

His daughter also sent him a Lego John Deere Technic Lego Tractor and spreader to work on! 



From our place to 
yours...



15 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Val, Rich, Charlie and all your four legged outdoor critters!

    Nice bird pics. That is a cool Blue Jay action photo. Our feeders have also been very active. I filled them the night before the frigid weather arrived. The birds are making quick work of it. We have ton's of Junco's. I have to climb a ladder to fill the feeder at the top of my pole station. Not ideal, but it was the only way to get the right height to deter squirrels. So far so good. Seed will have to last until the crazy forecasted warm-up next week. Happy Bundling up, stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some great bird shots, especially the blue jays. We are feeding juncos, nuthatch, chicadees, downy woodpecker, and of course the jays and magpies.
    Mmm prime rib! We are doing a sirloin tip roast for Christmas dinner tomorrow.
    Must have been some wind to crack Olive's door! Hopefully the artic blast gives way to better weather soon. We are expecting above freezing or near to it, starting tomorrow for the last week of this year. Our artic blast is about done.
    Wishing you and Rich a blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do lasagna when I cook for Christmas. the winds should die down by morning.
      I imagine it was the difference between cold blasts of air and warm interior air? I don't know.
      Thanks, we will have a quiet Christmas.

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas! I did not venture out yesterday but will today. Good for you feeding the birds and what pretty ones to have!! So happy that Rich had company!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to venture out today and do some x-country skiing.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:24 PM

    Merry Christmas, Stay safe and warm.
    Thank you for sharing your stories and photos.
    Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas. It is bitter cold here and we are alone for the holiday (happily the snowed in grandchildren were retrieved this morning and we can get some rest!). Prime rib steaks for us. I bought a side of beef and have the roast cut into steaks which they put in 2 packs for us. I save them for special occasions. We must not have many because we were celebrating Friday a few weeks when we were clearing out the last of the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Snowed in? I'm glad you are all safe and that you are getting some rest time.

      Delete
  6. Merry Christmas. You have so many interesting things on your blog and I enjoy being your blogger friend. We bought legos fro all of our grand kids. The grand daughter got the house from the Disney movie Ecanto. It is a neat thing that I wished I owned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice pick for gifts! I love creativity for children!
      Yes, my week was a rather busy one even if we didn't go anywhere.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous11:22 AM

    How do your mules handle -39 degrees? I can't imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fairly easily with hay and heated water and shelter from the winds. They were sleeping in the snow yesterday in the woods. The horse and the mules have water resistant coats that stand up and insulate in cold temps just as they do in the wild.
      We had no shivering animals at all.
      -39 was the wind chill out of the wind and in the sun it felt much more comfortable.

      Delete
  8. Merry Christmas, Val. Beautiful bird photos.

    The dashboard of my car cracked in the early 80s. We hit an actual temp of -40F, too much for that dashboard. I hope the glass stays put in Olive's door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She says she'll have it replaced since it is under warranty and only a year and a half old!
      Yes those temps are brutal on everything.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.