Sunday, December 18, 2022

Ornaments~

So Shirley from Ride a Good Horse challenged those who read her blog to talk about unique ornaments.


Sounds like fun. 

I have a few very unique ornaments that some may not even consider to be a typical ornament. 

Nine years ago a little girl who used to be my 'upstairs' neighbor came to go for a walk in the woods with Morris and I just before Christmas. She was 9. She handed me a gift she had made. It was a piece of yarn with a bell tied to it. She explained that she had made an ornament to hang on my tree.

Each year, I sort through things and end up holding that little loop of yarn and the tiny bell...I think of all of the hikes in the woods we had together and smile. The memories are fond. 

I have fancy beautiful horse ornaments and shiny glittery ornaments, but this one always gets a special spot where I can walk by and ring it.

That little girl is preparing to go to college next year. She is no longer a little girl. She is tall, poised, and confident in what she wants to do in her life. And she even has time to text me once in a while about her interests.


Of all the beautiful things I have, this one means the most to me.



Nothing like a little bell to ring as I walk by it. Here was a young girl who thought enough to make me a small gift to hang on my tree.

Another ornament that actually doesn't get hung on a tree is the Morris Ornament. I commissioned an artist in 2009 to make me 3 ornaments of Mr. Morris. This guy comes out of the hutch each year and graces a special spot in the living room.



Thanks Shirley for this suggestion!

7 comments:

  1. I love the back stories on these. People and critters who touch our hearts should always be more important than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The simplist of gifts from the heart are often the most meaningful.

    Love that you still ring the bell & think of the little girl that gifted it to you. You sure have made an impact on a lot of people over the years.

    What a work of meaningful art your little Morris is!!


    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for that sweet story. Such a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a student in school that went out into her yard and picked up sticks. She painted one and gave it to me as a gift. The end of the stick had a head shape on it and she painted it with stripes of colors. I still have it and see it on my display shelf often. The little girls imagination was inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:35 PM

    What a wonderful ornament and a beautiful memory of a sweet child. This to me is what the Spirit of Christmas is.
    Take Care,
    Kaye

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.