Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Like a Rock


The hike to the top of this bluff is always a bit tough and last night I had two 30 somethings accompanying me. Teri was my ex neighbor and we've been friends for about 12 years and her pal came along also.

We thought it would be fun to hike and sweat and get a cardio work out hiking to the Rock. Once there we shed our extra shirts and took up spots to watch the valley below us.

I have to admit, I kept crawling around the rock taking photos and chatting. 
Duh. I'd ID a bird call or point out the obvious. I guess it must have been  obvious that I don't get out often with others. Generally I just mumble to myself and answer myself.

We fell into silence for a long time and just enjoyed the view. [I think I was quiet for about 3 minutes.] I really need to shut up.


I've never been to this rock in the evening. I'm so glad I did. The skies were rather bland but as the sun sank lower, the oranges came out brighter.

There were no clouds but the river and valley moisture was becoming apparent. 

A two shot pano looking east to south.


I commented that I could sleep up on the rock so I could watch the night sky and listen to the night sounds. My friends said I was nuts and I'd fall off the bluff. I laughed. 
Can you imagine what an adventure that would be?


It was time to freak my friends out. I crawled to the edge of the rock as twilight came and took a shot straight down over the edge. You may be able to make out the trail below.


I think the elevation from the trail head to the bluff is about 200 feet.



There is not a lot of room to maneuver around but I sure enjoyed seeing the sights.



We headed down as darkness descended. 

We got into the forest and turned off our lights to listen to the night creatures. There was what we decided could be some kind of bird making some really odd noises.

I said it had to be a baby Sasquatch.

When we got back to where we parked we were amazed at the sheer volume of fireflies. They danced and whirled silently, lighting up and glowing, then darting here and there.

I set up my tripod and entertained my friends by showing them how to 'catch' a photo of them.


We parted after discussing another adventure we hoped to do this summer. Stars or moon watching from the KVR Dam site.

I talked about light painting and had shown them on the bluff how fun it was...example below...


We thought it might be fun to engage in some light painting on one of the covered bridges.

They took off and I started to leave but something made me stop.

20 years now
Where'd they go?
20 years now
I don't know
I sit and I wonder sometimes
Where they've gone
And sometimes late at night
Oh, when I'm bathed in the firelight
The moon comes callin' a ghostly white
And I recall
I recall....


Bob Seger [Like a Rock 1986]


I didn't linger long because I knew Teri would be watching for my headlights to make sure I was coming down the road too.


Like

a

Rock...

My hands were steady
My eyes were clear and bright
My walk had purpose
My steps were quick and light
And I held firmly 
To what I felt was right
Like a rock...




9 comments:

  1. That song fits the magical feeling you were experiencing just perfect!! There is something about the stillness of darkness, under night stars...and also BH Rock at sunset, with good company :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and now I cannot get rid of it! Though Bob Seger was one of my very favorite singers. Love his songs.

      The company was nice. Rich prefers that I have company. I am like...meh, whatever!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful outing! I get chatty also when someone is actually listening to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful and you'd never get me to do it!. It would scare the hell outta me. I sure do admire your adventurous spirit. The song fits your moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, we are all different. Thank you.

      I have been hiking mostly solo for many years and it is just something I do. So having someone along to show them the wonders is such a bonus.

      Delete
  4. The view was worth all the huff and puff. Beautiful place to view. Good friend shared a great time with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:39 PM

    I expect that you will be spending the night on that rock in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the photos and for painting the picture for us with your words.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.