Saturday, June 25, 2022

The Happy Table

 


I was given this table by the neighbors as they said it would be too hard to fix it and refinish it. I knew it would become a future project some day so I stuck in in between two pine trees and used it as a shade plant base for begonias.

This year I pulled it out and noted that it was basically falling apart. I nailed pieces of wood to it from the underside to try and make it stable enough to use. 

It wouldn't become a house table. I don't have enough room. If the bottom of the legs were too rotten, I'd simply cut them off. 




I'm a terrible planner. I just started to pick colors that appealed to me and went for it. The legs had to be dressed up with bright colors. The mood is to be Happy. 

I found a butterfly sticker that looked neat and stuck it on one leg. I may do another one or not. The table is to be a discovery of sights, not something that is the same. 


I thought long and hard about the top. At first I thought of painting the top sections of wood in different wild colors. Then I took some mild green paint that is meant for porch floors and spread it on the top.

What about stickers?

I found some old neat stickers I hadn't used on other projects and laid them out.

The sticker idea was cool. But I didn't have enough of the silhouettes to achieve what I wanted.



How about tracing them? I started to trace the birds because I suck at drawing them. But then I went freehand for the branches. Why not have silhouettes of branches and birds all over the surface?





I could hand paint them black or whatever colors I choose and then run some whitewash over it to add texture and interest. 

Besides, I want this project to last a while. I am in no hurry to finish it.

Hubby says I am ruining the table. I retort that the table is falling apart and I've nailed it together making it completely worthless to anyone. 

I remind him of the Happy Chair I did for my mother years ago and how she absolutely loved it and used it to display her stuffed donkey dolls in her living room.

Below is a table and chairs I put together as a 'coffee' table for the porch. The chairs were excellent garage sale finds. I've left both of these chairs out on the porch and now they have a unique weathering to add character to my sitting area.


This chair now holds one of my newer Not Fairy Gardens I made with
and old pie tin I found in the shed. The spool
holds the little grill and the patchwork table top 
is still my most favorite piece of work.
I would love to find a little base for
it to sit on in the house.


I'm in the mood to pick up another chair and take the worn out ones and place them in gardens. I have a thing about chairs. 

I have two nice heavy stout ones in the house that are begging to be worked on. I discovered some neat old chairs in LaFarge  that I drive by on the way to KVR. Hmmm. It is a junk place that has some neat old beat up chairs that look stout. I may have to put one in the back of my Subaru one of these trips!

But first? 

More work on the Happy Table.

It makes me smile.

The table will also provide me with a nice place to do Still Life photography with flowers this summer.


Just give me colors and the freedom to paint wildly and my life brightens exponentially.


12 comments:

  1. i like what you are doing with the table. Your porch is a welcoming place, I'd come sit with you if you weren't across the country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice place to sit almost all seasons! Except when it is below zero with a wind.

      Delete
  2. I spent a year or two frequenting weekend auctions while we remodeled and added on to our house. The old furniture had gone to the dumpster and I could usually pick up chairs for $3 or under. At that price I felt free to individualize them as I pleased. When we actually finished our addition and bought grown-up furniture, I put them on the curb. Passing motorists would take them before I could bring another one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha hah on the Grown up furniture. Not one chair of the 4 I have around the table match. I love it that way. It irritates the heck out of OCD people. But I am weird anyway so it doesn't matter.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a perfect summer project for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. If I am still on a roll after finishing the top, I'll have to find another chair!

      Delete
  4. Nice drawing Isn't that the way it always is with stickers? Never have enough... OR you have so many you don't know what to do with them all. I think black paint over your drawings would look great. And the great thing about repainting old furniture is that you can't mess it up! It was destined for the burn pile until you saved it, you are giving it a second chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I can't mess it up because if I don't like it, I can repaint it or burn it! LOL!

      Delete
  5. Freedom to be creatively yourself, is a wonderful thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to seeing your happy table when completed. Like the bird and vine idea. You're very creative. Too bad you're not nearby. I have a couple of old chairs in the basement that I keep thinking should be thrown out. One has a torn cane seat...no doubt you could make something of these chairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd paint it and then take out the cane and use it as a plant stand or a Decorative Chair even in the cold months.

      Delete
  7. You know I would love your painted furniture. You follow your creative spirit and let the colors roll. I have too many tables too.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.