Monday, June 06, 2022

Just for fun

Rainy day walk.
Saturday was pretty gloomy looking but when it looked like I could get a bit of time between rains, I did a wander about.
I didn't take Charlie because I let the mules walk with me down into the deep woods.


Fred is the last one following Siera. Once he was past me he loped ahead of the chubby gals and let the way. They charged around through the woods checking fence lines to make sure they were up. Then they all hurried back to the meadow.



I just sort of ambled around and was so amazed at how quickly the plants are changing in the forest. 


I even walked down the valley onto the neighbor's land and discovered that the grasses and weeds in the valley were already thigh high. When cattle roamed the woods, one could walk around fairly easily. The forest has been without any grazers since 2005 so the land has reverted to invasive weeds and tall grasses. It makes it rather un-fun to hike in the summer. 

I dislike making my way through wild parsnip that is taller than I am. 
So, until fall, I'll keep hiking our land and enjoying the interesting things I can find. [Along with hikes at KVR!]

If I have my 'bug' ID correct, this one should be:

Common white wave moth


 I found this insect that I'd never seen before on a wild geranium.


Here is a  cropped close up of it. It is stunning in its colors.


Apparently this is a Katydid Nymph?


Squatch and Hobby Gal decided to take a trip downstream on some bark they found. Apparently they are still looking for relatives for Squatch to reunite with.

Having a good friend to have your back at all times is so incredible thinks Squatch.


Off in the woods there are some interesting things happening. 

Big Foot is further upstream playing with a friendly slug.
I don't think he is prepared to meet Squatch yet. 


And then....

Abominable Snowman is sitting and thinking about the summer weather...


Since the weather is warm and wet he and Husky will enjoy eating fungi and slime.





Maybe I should just title this blog: Diary of a Mad Housewife/Caregiver.

Except I'm not quite mad. I'm just entertaining myself.



And enjoying what Mother Nature brings to our forest.


5 comments:

  1. What a fun walkabout with your mules! The woods filled in quickly at our place too. Not sure I've ever seen a wavy winged moth, kinda pretty. Your toys sure get to do/find interesting stuff, especially Squatch & Hobby. I don't think you are mad at all, just wonderfully creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely greens, but I would not want to hike in those tall weeds either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, I'm not a fan of walking through high grass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping back to tell you, the reflection in the Squatch photo is awesome, and so is the tiny fringe on the moth wings. I enlarged pics after commenting the first time. Nice detail to your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sharp eye you have! I was delighted to see that in camera when I took it. I had to really maneuver about in the stream and NOT fall on the slippery rocks for that shot. I just love that place in the creek.

      Rainy days are excellent for surprises, just like that delicate moth.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.