Thursday, June 09, 2022

What next??

I know I have harped on my Severe Osteoporosis diagnosis since last September. It struck me very hard and I was stunned to find out that my stupid body had failed me. I did all sorts of tests and a full work up. Heart, lungs, BP, eyes, and blood work came back pretty darned good for an old fart.

But my basic construction was falling apart. 
I started to worry about hikes, about the normal things I'd been doing all along. Suddenly they felt like huge issues.

It has messed with my mind to say the least. My osteoporosis score in the low lumbar region was 2/10ths of a percent under a 99 year old frail person. I was nearly off the charts in a bad way.

The consensus was to start taking bone building medications. The first line was a generic form of Fosomax. After three months, the meds and I didn't get along. Fast forward to the second medication, which I didn't do well on.

In the mean time, I went back to the CrossFit gym for some Mobility Classes. I needed the exercise and gentle stretching. The class is geared to any aged person and improves strength and balance. Well, that is, if you stick with it.

Here is a photo from one of the classes. See? CrossFit isn't a bunch of burly dudes running around throwing weights and beating their chests. It can be so much more. I'm on the left and a good friend of mine is on the right. The Mobility Class has teens to elderly adults in it. 


Yesterday, I had a phone visit with the Endocrinologist. We discussed medications and the pros and cons of the medication called Prolia. It is an injection once every 6 months. The downside of the medication is that at the end of 10 years of this medication, you have to take another medication to prevent relapse.

It is complicated. Prolia builds the bone and keeps the cells from breaking down. It is a monoclonal antibody.

We discussed the fact that so far, I've had no fractures anywhere in my body. She attributes that to my activity level. 

I asked if I could take a reprieve from medications and try a different route for a while:
hiking - low impact - free weights - balance and mobility exercises. Good diet with milk for calcium and foods with vitamins in them.

I explained that the medications worked backwards on me. I had a hard time staying physically active.

She thought this was a good idea and she said she was very open to it. 

Note: This doctor listened to me and explained the benefits of the medications along with saying that new meds are being found all of the time that may help. She didn't speak down to me. She didn't get that air of being far superior.
She even said that it was my body and this felt like a good short term plan to see if I could improve things a bit on my own.

So here are a few things to consider. I signed up to go back to the gym for Mobility Classes and some personal training to tailor exercises for my specific needs.

I was asked why would I spend that money like that? 

Easy.
The cost of the exercises at the gym are far less than medications cost and far less than physical therapy costs.

The benefits for me are multi faceted. I live with a shut-in who doesn't socialize. I get exercise and social interaction at the same time. Plus I suck at doing exercises at home on my own.

Bonus points: It helps my mental and physical well being.




10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a plan! Happy you have a doctor that listens to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eventually I believe I'll have to go the medication route, but for right now I am taking a break from it all and trying to enjoy this summer as much as I can.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wise decision. I am very skeptical of Medications... Mostly because Mom died early taking a handful of pills that did not seem to do anything. Diet, but mostly exercise will help you far more ( my opinion... I know I'm not a doctor.) Your Hikes are probably one of the things that help keep you young as it is, but just aren't enough, apparently. Best of luck to you! I have been in a form of Physical Rehab myself. Trying to get back in shape a little more aggressively than just biking. Sounds like a good Doc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have two excellent doctors working with me. They actually listen to the patient and take into account so many things. Biking is great exercise, I used to do distance biking too for a while! Good work!

      Delete
  3. It is hard to not feel like you have a doctor when they remain distant. Your Endocrinoligist sounded good. Mine is a model in tight pants and reads up on me fifteen minutes before I arrive. I said that to be funny but I do feel she is too young to really know. Your mental understanding of what is happening helps to make good decisions. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I get it. My husband's new doctor is very young too. She surprised us by being a good listener as well as a great questioner. She didn't just wave him off after checking him out. It was impressive.

      Delete
  4. I am so jealous of your doctor! What a gem! Someone who takes the time to listen to you and your needs. And is willing to consider options. Gosh, I am so glad you have her. And personally, I appreciate your research, thoughts and experiences on these fellow "bird bone" issues. You describe exactly how I felt when I got my test results. Something I never considered happening and how angry I am at my body for doing this to me. I think your exercise, healthy eating and socialization is the perfect prescription for this summer. I hope that, what I know is a temporary measure, can last a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I was talking with my doctor[s]. I know another friend of mine says she has a hard time communicating with her doctor too. I wonder if I am just lucky then?

      I hope that this at least helps me in some way? I'll keep you posted.

      Delete
  5. Investing in your health & well-being is money well spent. Glad you are enjoying being with your Cross Fit peeps!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think this will be a good thing.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.