Saturday, June 04, 2022

Hike at Weister Creek

 


I'll be parking at Pott's Corners, I told hubby as I was getting ready to go on my B-day hike with Charlie. I'd wondered about taking him on the sort of new-ish grass trail I'd planned on doing.

Only local folk really know what 'Pott's Corners' is. I never did find out the story behind it, but I assume that it is where a farm used to be and generally I would think the families last name would have been Potts.

Potts Corners 
with a new sign!




The local names for places like Mule Camp, Horse Camp, Ma & Pa's Camp, Pott's Corners Camp, have changed slightly over the years. Some places retained their original names but now are labeled on a map with letters. The letters aren't as charming as the fun names were.

There used to be an old trail along Weister Creek and the Reserve changed it to only foot traffic. It runs along a beautiful trout stream. I had never explored this trail and thought it would be a nice one to try.

It was relatively cool and breezy so walking in the grass and alongside water might be pleasant.

I took my infrared camera because all of the amazing things that are combined for good IR were absolutely perfect. Clouds, green grass, leafed out trees, and water.


I nearly turned back right away. They had just mowed and poor Charlie was struggling to walk through the thick chaff left by the mower. Pretty quickly he started to gag and cough. I scooped him up and decided to go ahead and carry him. 
What is an extra 14 pounds anyway?






The scenery did not disappoint at all. In fact in its natural colors of green and blue, it was amazing also.
I could see a woman walking with her dog on the other side of the creek and knew our paths would eventually cross if she didn't turn around.

Charlie and I stopped on a bridge and found a shady spot to have some water and share an apple. My arms needed a break and sitting in the grass seemed to be just the thing to do.

The woman and her dog came around the bend. She said her dog was friendly, could our dogs meet? I asked her for sure was... her dog friendly? Charlies last dog encounter was a bitey dog.

She assured me so and introduced us to her dog Kona Tree.
He was friendly. He actually paid no attention at all to Charlie other than to check out his parts and then walk over and pee on a weed to show Charlie how a bigger dog marked his territory.

We chatted a bit and then she told me she was just going up to the bridge and then taking this road...she pointed back to where she parked. 

I pointed to the road she was talking about and said it was a dead end and no road would take her back to her car. I explained that the roads in our area were not usually what they seemed to be.

I pulled out my map and showed her the layout. 

Her husband had taken the day off work and come out to Weister Creek to go trout fishing and she thought it would be fun to take a nice long walk with Kona.

Kona Tree


We eventually found her hubby who was enjoying his fishing. Tayanna [her name] introduced Charlie and I. The hubby then went on to tell her how the roads ran and when he pronounced Weister Creek properly I laughed out loud.
I said the locals pronounce the creek as "Wooster" Creek even though it isn't spelled that way." 

We laughed over local name pronunciation and spelling. Looking back, I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Apparently not. Tayanna and I walked to her car with our dogs and she offered Charlie and I a ride back to Pott's Corners. I didn't want to cause more confusion as technically Pott's Corners didn't exist and I couldn't recall the name of the road I did park on.

Besides with the rest of the trail ran along Wolfe Hollow Road Charlie's nose wouldn't be in the chaff and he'd be fine.

We exchanged numbers for texting as she asked if she came out again, could we hike a trail together. I said of course.

What a nice unexpected birthday surprise. 
Chalk it up to serendipity.

Two guys fishing under the bridge over
Wooster [Weister Creek].





5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Good to make more hiking friends especially those with dogs that are okay with Charlie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you!!!! Lovely photos and I am glad it wasn't a bitey dog friend! Fun and unexpected to meet a fellow hiker/walker. I live in an area where all our village, county and other names are pronounced in our local way. It makes using GPS confusing because she pronounces them correctly. Sometimes I have to think for a moment. When our weather makes the news, we all chuckle. because tv commentators pronounce them wrong. Just one example. We have a village named Milan, pronounnced "My - land".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you & Charlie made new hiking friends!! That seems to happen frequently to you at KVR. A reflection of your good natured character. I also pronounce it Weister. Wooster, Weister ~ it is a pretty creek regardless of what it's called. That last photo speaks volumes, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Funny and hopefully I haven't offended anyone like I said. I heard the name Wooster Creek for years and never saw a sign for it. Of course I then just pronounced it like everyone else has over the years.

      English language and local dialect are always odd!

      I guess I just love hiking and meeting people while doing that! It is a beautiful creek!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:11 PM

    Gorgeous photos!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.