Monday, June 20, 2022

Around the house

I am happy that I decided to purchase fresh veggies at the local Farmer's Market and some of the local folks who raise produce this year.

Old Garden:



I have a bit more time on my hands which means I can spend more time making my flower gardens look a bit more tidy. 

As this new heat wave bears down on us, I am finding things to do on the porch outside. It stays fairly nice in the shade and generally there is a nice breeze that flows through. 



This old table was given to me a few years ago. It is in a sad state of disrepair so I cut pieces of wood and did what I could to stabilize it enough as I figure out what I am going to do with it. It sat under the pine trees for a couple of years with pots of begonias on it.

The table should be tossed. But I figure if I can brace it up enough and cut down the legs [or not], I could use it as a coffee/craft table on the porch. [What I wouldn't do for a nice gate leg table!]


The project table is on the porch along with paints. I spray painted a coffee can and a Gatorade bottle for Porch Vases. Maybe it is tacky too, but I like flowers on the porch as well as in the house. I don't like broken glass!

I've always loved the idea of a Fairy Garden. I am constantly moving little things around so that I can be amused at what I have put together.


I love this little Zen Dragon. 

I move him/her around quite often. 

Morning light on a 'Fairy Garden' made 
out of an old pie dish.
It sits on a rickety old chair I
gussied up.




My pallet garden is doing as expected. The tomatoes are doing great and I've used old fence posts and twine to stabilize the plants. I know, tacky, but it was on hand and easier than trying to use a cage. 



The plants that are coming up in the slats are doing fair too. They are coming along a bit slower than those flowers on the east side of the house. The west side has good sun but good afternoon shade too from the locust trees. I think with the heat wave, those plants will do better than the ones exposed to the sun and wind all day.

Other surprises in my garden.
There are the gargoyles who resided in the Forest Garden last year. Right now they are in the growing flower garden. They look happy there! 
Last year the raccoon kept knocking over the gargoyles! This poor fella had his wings chipped.


This fellow sits on another stump and is the Welcome Gargoyle. [Yeah, I like dragons and gargoyles and I am weird.]




This is the porch in the morning. Many of my plants are in old Maple Syrup buckets that Rich's Grandfather used. It is handy to grab the buckets and move them around. 


More Fairy/Dragon/Gardens. I keep changing things up as it suits me. 






Things are going to be hot and muggly. I hope all my friends and their animals do well for the next few days.
I let my mules out to the forest where they can get down into the creek area. I walked there this morning and it was definitely about 10 degrees cooler than in the meadow!

Stay cool!


4 comments:

  1. I don't think any of this is tacky. It's innovative and thoughtful. The fairy garden is lovely! We are really hot and humid, fortunately it's windy. My horses have shade in their pastures, I wisely allowed some saplings to grow in the largest pasture that had no trees. Now it does. Enjoy your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your creative repurposed pots & flower displays!! Only you could make a gatorade bottle look good. I also like the fairy garden concept and tried to start a container many moons ago. It never amounted to anything. I could never find plants small enough. My gathered stone retaining wall kept toppling over. No one ever lived in it. Just this year I put my bent up metal trellis, 2 chairs, bird bath & wheel barrel out in my full sized garden. Hoping someone will enjoy it, besides me.

    I weave a trellis in between tomato baskets for my sweet pea pods, with the same orange twine. It works great! I am all for repurposing.

    Hope you guys & the critters stay cool!



    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I like your table! Your tomatoes are looking good! How lucky are you to have maple sugar buckets!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:07 PM

    I love the table on your porch, and it looks like your flowers and veggies are doing very well. Getting hotter here starting tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.