Sunday, June 26, 2022

Woke last night...

to the sound of thunder...
how far off,
I sat and wondered...
Started humming a song from
1962
Ain't it funny how the night moves... [Bob Seger]

I love the night sky too much to be afraid of darkness...

[Let me qualify that by saying that I live in a very rural area so any life I'd run into at night would be wildlife and not humans]


I couldn't sleep so I decided to take a walk across the ridge top and through the corn fields before the corn got too tall.

I brought a tripod and thought it would be fun to try some Milky Way shots. I am always experimenting and learning. I may even improve a little as I keep going!

Lightening Bugs and stars 


Walking on the road


Headed across the open fields


An attempt at a panorama shot that didn't quite work. Two shots.


I ended up a mile from home on a ridge and I wanted to try another shot where it was sort of a selfie shot with my head lamp shining into the Milky Way. 

The swirls in my light are moths
 that came to dance for me. 


I spent about two hours on the ridge walking and admiring the skies.

My night moves included watching a 'possum watch me. Deer eyes glowing in the woods and further off in the field. Unseen creatures moving about in the underbrush.
No coyote noises. 
No sounds of traffic.

I thought I'd try something different on my way home. My photos of fireflies were sort of bleh and dark so I thought I'd try some 'light' painting with my headlamp.




What felt so amazing is that I'm sure the fireflies danced just for me. I could have stayed all night.

Nothing is more amazing than a clear night sky full of stars and the Milky Way.





8 comments:

  1. Great shots Val. You nailed the headlight photo and got so much colorful detail!! You are fortunate to live in a dark sky area. I had a hard time sleeping last night too. There was geomagnetic activity last night. Beautiful night to be outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pics! I can never get good Sky or firefly pics at night. Perhaps if I upgrade the Camera....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your night shots are amazing. Beautiful colors with all the stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is fun and sort of a passion. I must try this in the winter too!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful shots of the night sky! I enjoyed reading and viewing your pictures. Your post brought back a memory of me and my sisters, growing up and living down a long dirt road, at night very late we used to walk it in the moonlight and pick wild blueberries. Not a fear or care in the world. Felt so good. Now to put on some Bob Seger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! As a little kid my Grandmother took us berry picking at dawn in thick woods. I'll never forget the morning we came across a bear. We just walked away. I was out again last night!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous4:11 PM

    Oooooo La La! Your shots are incredible!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! You got some amazing shots!!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.