Sunday, June 12, 2022

Personal Training

So, why would anyone pay for personal training. I mean, come on. We all know that moving and exercising is clearly the way to better health.

I walk, hike, and bike so I should be excellent right? 

I don't need any training, I know what I should be doing.

Huh.

Well. Not really. I had a talk with one of the coaches at the gym and I signed up for a half hour session. She contacted me with several questions regarding my diagnosis.

When I got to the gym, I felt silly. Here I was paying someone to tell me what to do and how to do it. Dumb idea. 

I warmed up on a bicycle while she finished up with a class. Then she waved me over.

There was no hesitation. Angie said, "Let's get to it."



I went through a series of exercises that I'd received from Physical Therapy last year. While I was doing them and she was making sure that I kept my core tight [and she explained that these particular muscles guard the lower back]...
I kept thinking. 

Well duh, I know this stuff. I can do it at home. Why am I paying someone to tell me to do this? 

Do you want to know the answer? Easy. She making me do it. She made sure that I did it correctly. 

We did a lot of core exercises and then moved to lifting. Whether you want to believe it or not, we lift all the time and we lift wrong especially as we age and become less mobile.

Strengthening and mobility go hand in hand to prevent injuries.

It has been nearly a year since I have been to CrossFit. After receiving that diagnosis that blew my mental world apart, I did make an attempt at doing my exercises that PT gave me. But with no one standing there and making me do it, I put it off. 

It was so easy just to say to myself: Well I walked a lot today and I mowed grass, gardened, and did chores. That should be enough.

Most days in the last several months ended with me having sore back muscles. They constantly ached and if I sat for a bit, I felt like I was 100 years old when I stood up to go get a drink of water.


What did I learn? 

One thing.
I felt good afterwards but wondered if this would really make a difference.

I got home and mowed the yard, weeded the shade garden and did other normal everyday things.

I sat down to watch TV. When I got up a little later to walk out and watch the sunset...

It ... hit...

me.

There was NO low back muscle pain. The muscles were not tight, the muscles didn't hurt. 

For the first time in months my back muscles didn't hurt. 

It sounds like I am one of those annoying 'fitness' people doesn't it?

Here is my conclusion. I could do nothing and take pricey medications with lots of side effects that make me sick and see the doctor more often. I could follow my physical therapy exercises... OH, wait, I tried that already. 

My PT exercises I got are on the frig. I don't know if they help the frig or not.


But that was not working for me. I actually feel like a huge weight was lifted from me this week. 

Fingers crossed that I can keep up the good work. 

The motivation from my 'coach' is great. Positive vibes do work.

I'm pleased and I guess that is all that matters.


 



7 comments:

  1. I understand this too well. Last year I spent months going to PT and religiously doing my exercises at home and didn't get better. I finally stopped PT because I got Covid from there. I continued my exercises but eventually gave that up. I am happy for you finding a way to better health and mobility. Blogger let me be me instead of anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice that you are you today!

      PT has always helped me in the past. I choose to continue my PT at home and just didn't do well. I really seem to need someone to make me do it.

      I was very good at distance running/training and bicycling for distances, but for all those other muscles and tendons we need to use, I seem to need help.

      Delete
    2. Val, I've started using Silver Sneakers. It's not the same as a personal trainer, which is the ideal, I think, but it does help me with motivation. PT did not help me.

      Delete
    3. I just suggested that to a friend of mine and hopefully she can find a silver sneakers program. I think they are awesome! Sliver Sneakers used to be available 3 years ago and I think the community could use it again!

      Delete
  2. Good for you! You have to do what works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you found what works for you, it's absolutely key.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:50 PM

    Now that is very encouraging! So glad you felt better after your session. (Why can I post now?) Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.