Thursday, June 02, 2022

About play

This is the real secret to life--
to be engaged in what you are doing
in the here and now.

And instead of calling it work,
realize it is play.

Alan W. Watts


Some folks find it very curious or strange that I have found so much enjoyment in toy photography. I call it play and my husband thinks I am really off my 'rocker'. 

I know I've written before about toy photography. It started with an on line class in still life a few years ago. I was really intrigued by the arrangements I could make with old tea cups, flowers, and old tools. 

I had decided much earlier that when I picked up a camera again, I was going to be a 'Landscape' photographer and become someone famous. 

Still Life? It really sounded boring, but it was a challenge and I learned so much.


Anything went as long as it was odd.



I started trekking through the woods with tea cups and baubles. It was fun. It was not what was common place. 

One day my neighbor's little boy gave me a lego person and told me to put it in a picture.


And I kept experimenting.



A whole new genre of photography opened up. By golly I had sworn never to do still life. But I was playing. I was having fun.
I was challenging my brain waves. [Or lack there of..]

Hah.
Now I can be found with assorted items in my backpack while I hike the woodlands. 
Some folks think I've
lost my 
mind...


Nope, I just love being challenged by
imagination...


This is what I do for self care. I realize that now. I can immerse myself in gardening which is pleasurable for me. But sometimes I have to add something to my daily walks.


Hobby finds slime molds!


This guy fears nothing! 



And of course, there is always kindness involved. 



Experimenting with toys, Still Life, photography, and of course Infrared Photography seems dumb right? One should just concentrate on one thing and get very good at it.

One thing never holds my attention for ever. For me photography is Play.
And apparently play is great for adults.
Play helps to reduce stress.
Improve brain function.
Stimulate the mind...

Well, you know...in my case the lack of mind?

I could take up learning how to bake or be more domestic. 

But for now? 
I'm going to take those opportunities to play.

So I can still keep my sense of wonder...





6 comments:

  1. I always love your pics. So fun and cool. Looks like an Indiana Jones trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just keep playing! I play with yarn it is no different so maybe I am off my rocker too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your play! Thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really excel at wilderness/still toy photography!! Love the kindness photo, sniff sniff. Funny the turns life takes us on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:20 PM

    Go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.