Saturday, June 11, 2022

Afternoon Adventures!

I got a chance to get out with young friend, Briar, who is the son of my ex-neighbor.

We decided to get adventurous and explore uncharted territory in the Reserve. I say uncharted because this area doesn't have marked trails anymore. 

Did it matter that there is a 55 year difference in our ages? Nah, well. Sort of. I can drive. I'm supposed to be the adult. But the both of us were eager to explore some uncharted territory.

Once we got to our destination, Briar informed me that his class had been there two years ago in the winter. They'd gotten to climb up and down and ice formation and explore the rocks.


The area is unique in that the cliffs and the river combined with a heavy forest canopy create a special environment for cold weather plants that generally are not found south of Canada. This I learned from my young friend.

Just below this bluff on a deer trail, we found Mother Nature's version of the Lily of the Valley. Not an invasive species! However it loves damp cool forests near water. 



We went on to discover more incredible rock formations and incredible tree roots!




The rock ledge with Briar on it for comparison:



We spent a long time in this area so Briar could explore only in the way a lithe and nimble young person can do. We did some crevasse climbing and exploring. Charlie checked out tiny rock 'shelters' that were like miniature caves.

Both Briar and I marveled in the beauty of it all. 

While climbing, Briar often stopped and looked at me and said, "Don't worry, I am being careful." 



When we return, we will hike up from the bottom of these bluffs and explore the little rock caves and crevasses.

As we headed out along another trail that took us to the highway, we stopped to say hello to a woman who was picking garlic mustard and stuffing it into a bag. 
We talked a bit and then she asked how we got on this trail as it wasn't on any map. She emphasized THIS trail and NOT on a MAP.

I smiled and answered simply that I used to hike here 25 years ago and I knew the old trails.


Briar piped up and told her that his class had taken a field trip here two years ago in the winter. 

There is a reason the trail is not used any more and not on any map. I'm pretty sure that there are some plants that are pretty rare that grow in that area. It wouldn't do to have bicycle and horse traffic tromping all around on sensitive soils and plants.

The location of area is safe with me. It is hard to get to and the trails are so faint in most of the area that it takes a sharp eye and knowledge of the land to find it.

I may go back in a week or so to see if those rare plants are blooming. That surely would be a site.

Charlie and Briar dozed off on the way back home. 
Some things never change.

What a great afternoon.



7 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:34 AM

    Hi, I'm not anonymous, but blogger says I am. I'm Sandra and I know Lori Skoog. You live in a beautiful place. I can only imagine how much fun this was for you and Briar. I have horses and have always liked mules. If I had it to do again I'd probably added a couple in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy! How are you doing? Yes, Briar and I had a great time. In fact he requested that I not bring his sisters on our adventures! :-O

      Delete
    2. Anonymous10:22 PM

      Smart young fellow!

      Delete
  2. Love the root "hand" on that one rock. Looks like a troll hiding in the forest

    ReplyDelete
  3. Briar sounds like a wonderful hiking companion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun day for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great mentor you are Val!! Briar will no doubt remember his valued time at KVR with you. Kids have a way of make everything more fun.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.